Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

I'm sooooo tired. Cutting and refitting the end links took way too long, I finished up at 4 and had to wake up at 7:30 to go for an alignment. I'm really hoping this thing will help stabilize the rear end on the road course.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

My clutch is toast...
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Mmm. Toast... So that's why I pulled on you in 4th! Lol
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    My clutch is toast...
    Sounds like it was a good weekend lol

2013 Argento FR-S

The racing sucked for me but otherwise it was a good weekend. I kept having a bunch of issues, all expected, but still frustrating.

My quickest pass of the weekend ended up being an 11.57@121.59 with a 1.88 60'. My fastest pass ended up only being an 11.8 @124 but my 1/8th mph was 100, which is faster than in any other pass I've had and I pumped a C63 AMG in the process For comparison, last September I ran an 11.52 @ 128.30mph with a 2.0 60' on street tires.

I was able to find out what was causing the overboosting and finally got the boost controller set up perfectly. I'm 99% sure my clutch was/is slipping, but only on the drag strip. I'm still running the stock clutch currently, which has 55k miles on it and quite a few launches on it from last year with the turbo kit and the year before in stock form. I think the fact that I was using the drag radials and doing burnouts this year was the tipping point for the clutch, especially with the power from the race gas. On the road course and on the street I didn't notice any slippage.

I had a MAF I was using to test for a slight issue I was having and unfortunately that MAF stopped working and the car would cut fuel at 5k rpm in 3rd and 4th. I read the codes and there was only a MAF code. Usually I would get that code due to a blown charge pipe so I checked for tears in any of the couplers but they were all good. Luckily I had brought my original MAF and once I reinstalled it the car was back to running 100%.

As I was kind of expecting, my engine kept overheating on the road course and a couple times on the drag strip. It was about 80+ degrees and really humid all weekend, which really didn't help. I was lucky and didn't damage anything, based on some quick initial tests but I'll be doing a compression test soon just to be sure. I probably won't be on the road course again this year and I'll be upgrading the radiator and oil cooler within the next year for sure. I was even entertaining the idea of swapping in a motorsport thermostat for the track weekends and a stock one for the rest of the time.

All in all it was a pretty interesting weekend, it definitely had it's ups and downs but that's expected with any sort of racing, and it was a good learning experience for me. I now know exactly what I need to work on and upgrade to get the car where I want it. I'm hoping to go back to the track in early September to get into the low 11's, I know the car has it in it, it's just a matter of time before I get there.

I haven't had time to go through the videos yet, I'll do my best to get them sorted today or tomorrow and have them uploaded by the end of the week.

well.. good thing you have a week, then test n tune to try again

Quote Originally Posted by KITTY View Post
    well.. good thing you have a week, then test n tune to try again
    I leave for work tonight and I don't really have plans to be home for the rest of the summer as of now.

Be sure you double clutch and rev match so you don't use your synchros!!!

vr6 is baeeee

Quote Originally Posted by minty View Post
    this guy knows his shit

If you would have rev matched your clutch would have been fine Nabs!

Best post by Minty yet... as long as he was being sarcastic and not serious.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by minty View Post
    I'll do you one better and heel-toe to rev match on the downshift. Shit, I don't even use my clutch or my synchros half the time, I only use my clutch to get the car moving then I just shift with no clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremblay View Post
    If you would have rev matched your clutch would have been fine Nabs!

Best post by Minty yet... as long as he was being sarcastic and not serious.
    Dammit! Now you tell me?! I bet you didn't tell me just so you could beat me!

A couple pictures of the car on the track at MAP

As you can see in this video, I clearly didn't double clutch or rev match and as a result my clutch would slip...

When that wastegate starts screamin, shits goin down! Car looks and sounds good man. Looks like you put down some nice passes. I know its in this thread somewhere, but do you notice a big difference with the high shifter?
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

I love that shifter

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Quote Originally Posted by bgodin23 View Post
    When that wastegate starts screamin, shits goin down! Car looks and sounds good man. Looks like you put down some nice passes. I know its in this thread somewhere, but do you notice a big difference with the high shifter?
    The wastegate is actually recirculated but I had the exhaust cutout open. The popping sound is the boost controller cutting boost since the clutch was slipping and as a result was causing the car to overboost.

My best pass of the weekend ended up being a 11.54 @ 121, which is just a tad bit slower than last year but my trap speed was 7mph slower than last year's 128.3. I was really hoping to get a low 11 but I wasn't expecting the clutch to slip. I was told when I got the kit that the stock clutch might not hold while running race gas but last year it did so I thought I would still be able to get away with it, I guess I wasn't so lucky this time. I'll probably be getting a Southbend Stage 3 clutch before the next MAP but I don't know when I'll be home next to install it.

The shifter definitely makes shifting easier just because I can reach over and grab it, rather than over and down, but it's not something I'll be using on the street. With the stock shifter it's always really notchy when shifting from 1-2 and in general when the car is still cold but this shifter goes into gear with such little effort that it kind of grinds the synchros if you're not careful when the car is still cold.

Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast