Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 1,081 to 1,086 of 1086

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Are you sure you're just not welding things to build up your skillset?

There's no real proven long term reinforcement, other than a roll cage, and especially with turbo'd cars there have been a few cases where even after reinforcement plates were welded in the entire floor started to separate. I'd rather be safe than sorry even if that means I get to get a bit better at welding. I'd rather not do much welding on this car so if I didn't really feel like I have to do this I wouldn't have.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Got the interior fully seam sealed and painted, as well as the underneath. While it's not an exact match it's pretty close and you won't be able to see it anyway. I ended up getting a couple cans of the actual BMW underhood and interior version of my colour code, which is pretty much the same but matte.

I started putting the car back together but ran into a major snag with the diff bushing going back into the subframe. It's only a few mm out of place but I can't get it in the rest of the way and I can't fit it in my press because of the awkward positioning. It was pressed out before the subframe got powder coated and it seems it's slightly bent. If I can find my other bushing I'll try and press this back out and press the other one in but other than that I can't put anything other than the gas tank back in at this point
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

looks like you need to get creative with your rigging and press harder.

I have faith in you. Really nice finishing touch painting the chassis, looks much better even if it will be covered by your interior, nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    looks like you need to get creative with your rigging and press harder.
    I bent a 6" c clamp trying to get it in. There were no ball joint presses available for rental so I did the best I could but just ended up taking it to a shop

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    I have faith in you. Really nice finishing touch painting the chassis, looks much better even if it will be covered by your interior, nicely done!
    I appreciate the faith but unfortunately it wasn't enough and I wasn't able to get it done in time. I spent all of Friday and most of Saturday in town waiting for people and running around and I had to leave town one day earlier than expected so I didn't have enough time to get everything done.

This time when I put the subframe back in I decided to try and do it without the axles/trailing arms and diff in place, it was a good too because with the 2 piece solid mounts it was tricky getting it all lined up, but it makes things a little more tricky to properly torque

Getting the diff in was pretty tricky. I had to jack it up from the center than angle it quite a bit to be able to get the front through the subframe. After the front end was able to rest on the subframe I had to move the jack to the very back and slow lift it up then move it forward inch by inch. By the time I finished with the diff it was 1 a.m. so I called it a night.

This morning I threw in one of the axles/trailing arms. I didn't get everything connected but I put the bolts for the upper and lower control arm in, and bolted up the front of the trailing arm in place.

I still have the other hub to put in as well as preloading and torquing all the control arm bolts on the subframe side for both hubs and then everything is fairly simple to finish. Had I had a full day yesterday I probably would have been able to get everything back in the car. It also doesn't help that I've seemed to misplace a few small but key items after moving everything around all those times in last winter and this fall.

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273