Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1095

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Are you sure you're just not welding things to build up your skillset?

There's no real proven long term reinforcement, other than a roll cage, and especially with turbo'd cars there have been a few cases where even after reinforcement plates were welded in the entire floor started to separate. I'd rather be safe than sorry even if that means I get to get a bit better at welding. I'd rather not do much welding on this car so if I didn't really feel like I have to do this I wouldn't have.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Got the interior fully seam sealed and painted, as well as the underneath. While it's not an exact match it's pretty close and you won't be able to see it anyway. I ended up getting a couple cans of the actual BMW underhood and interior version of my colour code, which is pretty much the same but matte.

I started putting the car back together but ran into a major snag with the diff bushing going back into the subframe. It's only a few mm out of place but I can't get it in the rest of the way and I can't fit it in my press because of the awkward positioning. It was pressed out before the subframe got powder coated and it seems it's slightly bent. If I can find my other bushing I'll try and press this back out and press the other one in but other than that I can't put anything other than the gas tank back in at this point
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

looks like you need to get creative with your rigging and press harder.

I have faith in you. Really nice finishing touch painting the chassis, looks much better even if it will be covered by your interior, nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    looks like you need to get creative with your rigging and press harder.
    I bent a 6" c clamp trying to get it in. There were no ball joint presses available for rental so I did the best I could but just ended up taking it to a shop

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    I have faith in you. Really nice finishing touch painting the chassis, looks much better even if it will be covered by your interior, nicely done!
    I appreciate the faith but unfortunately it wasn't enough and I wasn't able to get it done in time. I spent all of Friday and most of Saturday in town waiting for people and running around and I had to leave town one day earlier than expected so I didn't have enough time to get everything done.

This time when I put the subframe back in I decided to try and do it without the axles/trailing arms and diff in place, it was a good too because with the 2 piece solid mounts it was tricky getting it all lined up, but it makes things a little more tricky to properly torque

Getting the diff in was pretty tricky. I had to jack it up from the center than angle it quite a bit to be able to get the front through the subframe. After the front end was able to rest on the subframe I had to move the jack to the very back and slow lift it up then move it forward inch by inch. By the time I finished with the diff it was 1 a.m. so I called it a night.

This morning I threw in one of the axles/trailing arms. I didn't get everything connected but I put the bolts for the upper and lower control arm in, and bolted up the front of the trailing arm in place.

I still have the other hub to put in as well as preloading and torquing all the control arm bolts on the subframe side for both hubs and then everything is fairly simple to finish. Had I had a full day yesterday I probably would have been able to get everything back in the car. It also doesn't help that I've seemed to misplace a few small but key items after moving everything around all those times in last winter and this fall.

The car is close to being back on the road!

In the 2 months I was out of town my road finally got chip sealed so I no longer live on a dirt road! Since I don't have to deal with dirt anymore I figured I would clean the undercarriage since the car is already in the air and still in pieces. I spent about a day cleaning everything up.

I finally have a fully functioning drivetrain again! I finished today off by getting all the shocks, springs, brake calipers and driveshaft installed.

There's not a whole lot left, just have to install the heat shield, exhaust, plastic under trays, front reinforcement plate and rear sway bar and change the oil and it can go back on the ground! The only slight problem I have right now is that I can't seem to find one of the Hotchkis sway bar brackets so I'm going to find my old rear sway bar and pull a bracket off that. The only thing not on the list that has to be done is spraying the cavity wax.

I'm hoping to have the car done inside and out by thursday night so that I can get the rear end aligned and have the car on the road for the weekend. I also started buying a few more things to work on for the winter.

I have a possibly stupid question. So when I stored the car I put fresh oil in and never attempted to start it in the 2 years since. Should I change the oil or should it be okay?

change it, its not worth the chance.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.talklocal.com/blog/2012/1...-in-an-engine/
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

It will be fine
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

The car is finally drivable again! I finished putting the car back together on Sunday night and had it back on the ground but had to reassemble one headlight and rewire one gauge, which I finished up early Monday morning. I washed the car and had it ready to go on the cruise but I forgot to put insurance on the car on Friday and they were obviously closed yesterday when I called.

It also turned out I had broken the left rear wheel speed sensor at some point and as I later found out when I went to go drive the car, the speedometer didn't work either. After researching for a little bit I found out that the left rear is the one that the speedometer goes off of so today I pulled out the right rear sensor and used that on the left rear. It's a PITA to get at without having to remove bunch of parts but I was able to manage and snake my hand in to get at the connector. I was hoping to pull a sensor off my old 323 because all E46s share the same rear sensors except for the one older than 2001 since the connectors aren't the same. For now I have a working speedo again but no traction control or abs, but I have ordered a new one and should have it on Friday.

All I have left to do now is drill a couple holes by the front cups that were welded in so I can spray some cavity wax in there then reinstall the headliner, pillars, rear door cards and rear seat and my car will finally be fully back together for the first time in 3 years. The best part of the rear bar I welded in is that with all the carpet installed in the trunk you could never tell that there was anything done to it. I also have a lot more space now that the CD changer is gone

soooo... you going to be racing again next year or what?
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Senior Member test

saw you parked at c-tire today. car looked great, nice to see it out
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

Quote Originally Posted by Tremblay View Post
    soooo... you going to be racing again next year or what?
    Well I was hoping to go next weekend but I don't want to go myself and it doesn't look like anyone else is going. I still want that rematch!

Quote Originally Posted by 4speed View Post
    saw you parked at c-tire today. car looked great, nice to see it out
    Thanks! It was great to drive it again, although it's a little more of a rough ride than I remember but once I get the interior back in it'll be a nice street car again.

There's something to do on this car. I got the new wheel speed sensor and installed that yesterday as well as shifter rod between the shifter and the transmission. The new one is an aftermarket stainless piece that's almost twice the weight and has tabs on either side for the transmission coupler and the shifter. It's called a double shear selector rod (DSSR) and it's supposed to help eliminate some play in the shifter and help with shifting due to the added weight. This should make shifts smoother with the short shifter.

I also picked up a new (to me) steering rack. This one in particular is known as the "yellow tag", 712 or ZHP rack and it was mainly seen in the performance package in the 330i but it was in some regular 330i's and this one was actually out of a 325i. The reason for getting this is the shorter steering ratio and this particular one only cost me $100. The standard M3 comes with a 15.4:1 progressive ratio rack, but the 712 is only 13.7:1 but still progressive. Some people choose to go with the rack out of the old Z3, which is 13.7:1 but linear so it's more responsive when in the middle. The Z4M coupe rack is the holy grail of racks as those are 12.8:1 and progressive but near impossible to find.

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273