Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

There's also over spray on the belly pan, bottom of the fender liners and on the air temp sensor so it definitely was on the car when it was sprayed. Same goes with the rear bumper, and the paint on that is absolutely horrible.
    Last edited by Nabs; 07-13-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Oh gotcha, noobs.
    Neema

9.75 @ 143.41 MPH

923 hp 735 ft/lbs

In-Car Video Link

It's slowly coming along, my orbital sander was nice enough to dead itself so the sanding has definitely taken much longer than expected.

Plastic welded in the pieces for the reflector holes. Made a bit of a mess but it's very secure and would not budge.

Sanded the excess plastic down

Used bumper filler to cover the reflector areas so that it would be perfectly smooth. Also filled in the holes from the plate holder and the holes used to hold the splitters on.

Sanded down the filler

This is how the bumper currently looks. Used some spot putty to fill in any little holes in the bumper filler.

I was hoping to prime, paint and clear it today but figured it was a bad idea with the weather and Cale wanted me to come to the meet with the M3 so I'm just going to plasti-dip it white and finish up next week.
    Last edited by Nabs; 07-14-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

I love your M3 dude. I have always been a fan of the e46 and the white with red leather is just perfection imo

Thanks! Someone actually recently sent me a message asking if I was interested in selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Thanks! Someone actually recently sent me a message asking if I was interested in selling it.
    haha it isnt that common. I have seen a lot more black with red interior on sale then white with red.

Ben

I get his far in the thread and I don't even get to see the bumper painted yet?! I NEED MOAR!

I don't really feel like updating this thread since it seems like most people don't care.

Anyway, I ended up plasti-dipping the bumper the same day as the last update just so I could go to the meet. That same night I decided to test the durability of the plastic welds, it didn't go so well. As I found out plasti-dip on bare plastic is a giant PITA and I ended up having to buy 3 cans of paint stripper to get it off as well as the rest of the paint that was on the bumper.

I ended up going out of town for a while and when I got back I decided to peel off the plasti-dip and redo the shaved reflectors properly and use fiberglass to reinforce it. I had to remove the plastic guides/reinforcements on the back of the bumper to be able to use the fiberglass

my first time trying to use fiberglass, it went ok.

I sanded most of it down to the bare plastic and left a little bit of the factory primer in certain spots. At that point I was going to take it to a body shop to get it done properly while I went out of town for work but I was able to stay home for a few extra days to go to Terrace Bay. I ended up priming, painting and clearing the bumper the night before, finished the clear coat at midnight, got up the next morning and plastic welded in the bumper "tracks" put it on the car and went to Terrace Bay.

Bare plastic and factory primer

Primer

Final result. It's the only picture I have of the front of the car after I put it back on. I'm not sure if anyone got any at Terrace Bay

The paint match was pretty much spot on considering I didn't polish it yet. It also turned out I didn't get the shaved area entirely smooth so I have to sand down those areas again and repaint them. After Terrace Bay I left town immediately the next morning and haven't been back home since so I still have yet to do that. I will probably leave it the way it is until next spring and just wet sand, compound and polish it when I get back from Brainerd. Overall though I think it looks way better than just having the painted reflectors sticking out and it was much cheaper than buying a new or even used Euro bumper.
    Last edited by Nabs; 09-02-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Looks good. What's next?

Maintenance, namely "Inspection 2". It involves changing all the filters and fluids in the car as well as a valve adjustment and I'm really hoping that the exhaust hub for my VANOS isn't busted.

That's what my whole build is about maintance lol

That looks like you did a pretty solid job on that bumper Dave! Makes me want to brave up and do a little shaving on mine as well.. Plastic weld + fiberglass + filler and it all worked out at the end of the day?

Thanks Kevin. I put a lot of hours into the prep on that bumper, I don't even want to try and count how many, but I am very pleased with the result other than the slight unevenness of the paint since I rushed it at the end and didn't check to see if the reflector area was flat after I sprayed the primer. The unevenness is almost unnoticeable and even the shaved reflectors are very subtle but it just looks so much cleaner, I can't stand those stupid amber and red reflectors on any car, and it's EDM

The shaved area is quite strong though, it flexes as much as the rest of the bumper and I all but took a hammer to it to test how strong it was. The fiberglass is a definite must or else you can pretty much push out the reflector area with your thumb.
    Last edited by Nabs; 09-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.

looks great! That shaving turned out exceptional

My Car Log : 08 Subaru 2.5i

Ben

Yeah that looks really good, however, not to be a douche but fiberglass and plastic don't mix. I tried fixing my FOHA front lip for my MK2 with fiberglass, second it had any flex, the fiberglass just cracked off all in one piece. I even scuffed the plastic with 40grit first so the resin had some good bite but it was a no go. The "proper" method is to melt it using a plastic welder which is just a super mini heat gun, it blows super hot air and melts the plastic together as well as matching plastic compound "welding rods" that you melt into the crack. This makes the outside of the bumper nothing but plastic and if you want to make it even better, use some 3M plastic filler over top to smooth it out before prime/paint.

So basically, the way you had it before, you just need to melt some scrap bumper plastic into the groove that was left from where you melted it together before applying plastic filler.

If it's a pretty nasty crack (or in this case, a big hole you're shaving), you can use some of that mesh drywall tape, it's like that white stuff, the mesh is made of fiberglass. Anyways, you can use that and lay down a strip on the back of the plastic after scuffing it with 40grit and then apply some 3M Plastic Adhesive over top of the fiberglass mesh tape. If you do all of this, and it cracks again, it's probably going to cracks again, it's not going to be where it was repaired.

Oh, and if you have the money, I would highly highly HIGHLY suggest you pick up some polyester filler and use it in place of the spot putty you used. I just learned about this stuff recently, literally a few days after I just used a bunch on my front bumper for the MK3, but it apparently cracks out or it shrinks over time so all of the pitting comes back, and the Bondo brand stuff (the red kind) does this thing called "bleed through" and the red catalyst built into the putty will bleed through your paint if you don't use a sealing primer.

For now I think it looks pretty good, you barely used any at all and you also said you want to redo it at a later date which I totally get. I'm the same way when it comes to being an asshole about things coming out perfect lol.

I love how it came out though, I want to start getting back into the fun world of fab work.

EDIT:
    On a side note, I saw this super sick M3 going down the harbour while I was coming home from work and it has right nice wheels on it, then I came here, saw the current picture of the car with the same wheels.. and.. it was you I saw lol.
    Last edited by Ben; 09-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast