Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

More than you can afford Pal...

BMW.

I fail to see anything broken....
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Look directly below the bolt with the oil on it, maybe about an inch below.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

On a positive note, at least you caught it now before that chunk let go and killed your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    I fail to see anything broken....
    I updated the picture and circled it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    On a positive note, at least you caught it now before that chunk let go and killed your engine.
    That I am very thankful for. It's a common and well known problem with the VANOS system on these cars. There have been a few unlucky people who have had that piece find it's was into the timing chain and dead the engine or go down into the oil pan where you need to drop the whole front subframe and pan to get at. I knew it would happen sooner or later, was just hoping for the later part. I have a few options to beef up the system to help prevent this from happening again.

- - - Updated - - -

So yesterday mainly consisted of tear down, boring stuff, so I won't post pictures of that.

Everything removed off the valve cover and ready to come off

Nice and clean head.

So my main objective was to check all the valves and make sure that they're all within spec, if not then I'd order the appropriate shims needed. It pretty much consisted of turning the engine until any set of cam lobes were facing up and then slipping the feeler gauge(s) in between the cam and rocker. All the cams were within spec so I saved quite of bit of time there.

Next was dealing with the lovely VANOS hub

The engine was set at TDC by turning the engine until the cam lobes for cylinder 1 were facing each other at 45 degrees. Then to be more precise I lined up the harmonic balancer.

After that I removed the VANOS solenoid

Once the solenoid was out of the way I was able to remove the all the mounting bolts and pry apart the VANOS unit from the head. I used a flexible magnetic tool to hold onto the broken tab while I pried the VANOS so that it wouldn't fall down into the oil pan

Then came the removal of the VANOS pistons from the splined shaft studs and once that was done the VANOS unit simple came off.

Now for the carnage

I still have to remove the hubs off the cam sprockets but other than that I can't do anything until the ordered parts come in. As a result of the damage done to the oil pump disk by the broken hub I'll be pulling that apart and taking it to have another 2 holes drilled 90 degrees from the existing holes since it's cheaper than $150 for a new one that has the same done to it.

I've decided to do pretty much a full rebuild of the VANOS. I will be replacing all the OEM Buna seals with Viton seals, upgrading the cam sprocket and hub bolts to the new, updated ones and I'll be going with a beefed up exhaust hub and installing a rattle kit to elimate any play in the splined shaft bearings. The only thing I'm not doing is upgrading the solenoid as that hasn't caused any problems and can be replaced at a later date without having to remove everything.
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-14-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

BMW build quality I guess isn't any better than Subaru
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Had the hole or the tab been 0.9mm smaller/bigger this likely wouldn't have happened. Most people think that it is due to the slack that when the tab hits the disk it causes it to break which is why anyone who is selling a fix for it drills smaller holes on the disks or puts on bigger, stronger tabs.

Took me a while to find a shop willing to drill the disk. One shop even told me it wasn't worth it and that the hole wasn't that bad but I still wanted to do it just incase.

I have most of the parts/tools ordered, just waiting to hear back about a new hub and have to place an order for random washers, bolts, etc. I'm going to flush the transmission and differential and continue pulling all the parts for the turbo kit.
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.

I got a bit lazy and didn't do too much yesterday.

Started by pulling apart the VANOS unit to get at the oil pump disk

I pulled the VANOS hubs and splined shaft off the sprockets and out of the cams. It actually seems like a very simple system.

Then I decided to do some maintenance stuff. Changed out the differential fluid

Decided to stay safe and went with the OEM fluid. The bottle even came with build in "funnels"

The transmission was next. The oil was really black and it seemed like there was a lot of metal flakes coming out as well. Went with an OEM equivalent fluid for this.

Finally I swapped in a new fuel filter while I was down there. I drained the inlet side first to see if there was any junk in there and the gas was quite clean.

I'm hoping to pull the intake manifold, headers, exhaust and bumper tonight.
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-12-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Putting in work dude. Nicely done!

I like pictures haha. Good work so far. That fuel filter looks right long haha

You waste no time! Get r done

My Car Log : 08 Subaru 2.5i

Beautiful car!!

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

Good work, they should have had Honda design their variable valve timing haha.
    Neema

9.75 @ 143.41 MPH

923 hp 735 ft/lbs

In-Car Video Link

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    Putting in work dude. Nicely done!
    Thank you sir. You want to come help? I'm getting a bit lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    I like pictures haha. Good work so far. That fuel filter looks right long haha
    Thank you! Ya, it's a good 9 to 10 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by duvanator View Post
    You waste no time! Get r done
    I actually do waste lots of time I'm not in any major rush now that I have to wait for parts. They all should be in by the middle of next week but I have a few midterms next week so it may have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Snidd View Post
    Beautiful car!!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by neeman77 View Post
    Good work, they should have had Honda design their variable valve timing haha.
    Thanks! It's a good system, just has a slight flaw, but the interesting thing is that out of the 3 production vehicles that used this engine it only seems to have the issue in the M3. I've also seen pictures of early designs where they used a larger tab and slots, must have been an accounting change there.

Anyways, I just finished up for the night. I'll post pictures in the morning or afternoon, whenever I end up waking up.

- - - Updated - - -

So yesterday I started with removing the intake manifold

I hate these clamps...

Bye bye manifold!

ITBs!

Then it was bumper removal time

Followed by draining the coolant and removing the expansion tank

The fender liner and brake ducts were next to go

Kevlar crash bar removed

The intake grill thing was taken off and I slightly broke it, oops...

All fixed

Intercooler mounting bolts installed

Interfooler

It took me an hour to cut the plastic and mount this thing...

I changed the spark plugs next. Cylinders 1-6. They looked pretty good, no problems here.

Now for the fuel rail...

Everything comes in labeled, sealed bags which makes life a whole lot easier.

Vacuum rail came off, then the fuel rail itself

Gotta love dirt roads...

Cylinders 6-1

Old & new

I had to do a bit of modification to the fuel rail to accommodate the new, taller injectors. It was just a little scary.

Spacer for the fuel feed

Injectors all set to go. I used a little vaseline to make things slip in a bit more easily.

Fuel rail in

Vacuum rail and injector harness reinstalled. This took forever.

That fuel rail installation took a good 2 hours. Nothing wanted to cooperate and come out or go back into place, especially the injector harness. By the time I was done it was 3am so I was done for the night. I also ran into and issue with the support bracket that mounts on the bottom of the intercooler and then to the sway bar mounting point. I have a spacer installed under the sway bar mount so there is no room left to put the support bracket there, gotta find a solution for that...
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-13-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Awesome she's gunna rip

Page 34 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast