Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 35 of 74 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Are you doing everything by yourself? Or do your have a set (or more) of helping hands?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk now Free

Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

I've done everything myself at this point. I've never really had people help me work on my cars and I've only ever helped one person work on their car. Cale's favourite line: "M3 driver's have no friends."
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-13-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

I'm bored
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

I thought for some reason your car was v8 haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    I've done everything myself at this point. I've never really had people help me work on my cars and I've only ever helped one person work on their car. Cale's favourite line: "M3 driver's have no friends."
    Well hey man if you do need a hand anytime, I'd be more than willing to help. I won't know as much about the stuff add you would, but I can at least provide an extra set of hands so don't hesitate to give me a shout.

v band madness! This thing is going to be nuts boosted, was already quick as hell!

Cant wait to see the build started
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    I thought for some reason your car was v8 haha.
    Sometimes I wish it did... What made you think that anyway? The generation after mine, E9x M3's, came with a V8 though. They're going back to an inline 6 with the next gen M3's but they'll be twin turbo from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveX View Post
    Well hey man if you do need a hand anytime, I'd be more than willing to help. I won't know as much about the stuff add you would, but I can at least provide an extra set of hands so don't hesitate to give me a shout.
    Thanks for the offer! I've pretty much got everything major done other than the turbo and manifold so it's just little things here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremblay View Post
    v band madness! This thing is going to be nuts boosted, was already quick as hell!

Cant wait to see the build started
    It definitely was fun N/A but it depends on who you ask if it was quick or not. The build already started... go back one page

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't do a lot yesterday as I kept running into little issues here and there that just kept adding up and made me really frustrated. The little things that ended up being done was plugging a hole in the oil pan for the old intake's oil drain, ran the turbo's oil feed line, installed a check valve in one of the vacuum lines and cleaned my idle control valve.

Next on the list was installing the new aluminum intake manifold. The stock one is made of plastic and wasn't able to hold the boost without expanding and breaking during development so they made a new manifold.

Had to install a new mounting bracket for the manifold. On the bottom left you can see the banjo fitting for the oil feed line installed in the oil filter housing and just above it and to the left is the idle control valve in the bracket.

New couplers in place on the ITBs

New manifold in place. It was a bit of a pain to get it in all the couplers at once.

Decided to test fit the cold side charge pipe. Here it is with the synapse diverter valve installed.

Took some pictures of the new hardware. Some beautiful welds on the intercooler.

Tial wastegate
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-22-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Not sure just thought it was. Good work so far! I keep getting disappointed when I scroll to the last picture

I hope this makes you feel better.

My goal today was to finish up everything on the top so that I could jack up the car and remove the reinforcement plate, you lose the central jacking point when it's removed.

I had to solder in a new harness for the MAF and air intake temp sensor. I ended up cutting a bit too much off when removing the stock harness... oops

Looks clean to me

Next up was the fuel pump. Had to remove part of the rear seat to get access to it

Pulled out the grommet then unclipped the harness and pulled back the sound deadening (really brittle stuff)

I was greeted by my good old friend... dirt.

Cleaned it up a bit then removed the fuel feed line.

Used a hammer and screwdriver to turn the metal ring that held down the pump hanger assembly and then it easily pulled straight out

I probably shouldn't have filled up the car...

Here's the assembly out of the car

Next was removing the pump from the assembly by taking off the fuel line and removing the 3 black rubber shocks.

I got mad at the pex clamp on the fuel line and accidentally broke the fuel pump...

In order for the new pump to fix securely I had to dremmel a small piece from the stock pump holder and clamp the new pump in place. This was after I tried getting the broken piece from the old pump out of the fuel line and ran a metal pick straight into my finger. Ouch.

The new pump came with butt connectors to connect the new pump's harness to the existing wires but required cutting off the old spade connectors. I didn't like that so I decided to wait and buy some proper connectors before I reinstalled it.

With everything done on the top end it was time to remove the headers. I was able to get all 18 nuts out from the top in under 20 minutes! Much better than the 5 hours for the stock headers...

Then came the removal of the steel reinforcement plate.

12 disposable bolts later

Just some ceramic stalactites

Won't be needing this anymore...

Got to finesse the headers out of place. You can't remove them individually, they have to be pulled out or put in at the same time. I want to say the discolouration is from excessive heat?

Exhaust ports! Also had to remove that line that runs from the valve cover down to the oil pan

Now we are getting close to the scary part, drilling the oil pan. The center piece was removed so that I can somehow shove a shopvac in there should any metal shavings get in there.

Pretty cool filter for the oil feed line. There was a little bit of sludge on this.

Now for the disappointing part. That's as far as I got today as I have class at 8:30 tomorrow morning and I didn't know where the drill was. I only have class until 11:30 so I should be able to get some more done after that. I also picked up some white header paint since the manifold's ceramic coating was slightly messed up when I got the flange machined.
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-22-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Awesome! Haha. To bad you couldn't take the oil pan off to drill it and to make sure there's no shavings in it but I'm sure that's a job and a half lol

830 class and you worked on your c car till 1? That's some awesome dedication! Well I shall be tuning in again tomorrow for the next episode of Dragonba... I mean Nab's M3!

Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    Awesome! Haha. To bad you couldn't take the oil pan off to drill it and to make sure there's no shavings in it but I'm sure that's a job and a half lol
    Pretty much. In order to get the oil pan off you have to support the engine, drop the front subframe and disconnect a bunch of stuff. Not my idea of a good time. In one of the pictures you can see it running across the oil pan. The area you see in the pictures in less than half of the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveX View Post
    830 class and you worked on your c car till 1? That's some awesome dedication! Well I shall be tuning in again tomorrow for the next episode of Dragonba... I mean Nab's M3!
    I love Dragon Ball Z! I actually finished up at 9:30, I just happened to be up at 1

wait..... what are doing here for your oil feed and return lines?

you plan on drilling this plate with a screen for your oil return line? looks like you already have an AN fitting on the pan that you can use for your return. just swap that out for a bigger AN fitting.
    Last edited by Yota; 10-15-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

He took the plate with the screen in it out to put a shop vac in the pan

I don't think he needs to drill out his pan if he uses that AN fitting that's already there.
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Page 35 of 74 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast