Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Oil feed line is already in place, you can see the braided steel line hanging by the oil pan. It's being fed from the oil filter housing through a previously plugged hole.

What type of bearing does you turbo have, ball bearing or journal? If ball is there a restrictor build into banjo bolt to reduce pressure and oil flow into the turbo bearing housing?

Nice build by the way.

^ From reading, Precision requires a restrictor weather you go with journal or ball. Journal being requires a .065" and ball requires a .035"

Assuming he went with a ball bearing it will be the .035"

I second truck and diesel for lines and fittings. Make it longer rather than shorter if you go in to get one. They are fairly easy to shorten yourself with a hack saw, a wrench and a vice at home. Lots of tutorials on youtube for that as well.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

I believe most precision turbos have restrictors built into the oil feed side. mine does

Quote Originally Posted by neeman77 View Post
    I honestly don't recommend stepping down an oil drain to -6AN, especially if it is going to be shared with another item as a drain. Under heavy load and high oil pressure you will get back up of that line and cause turbo seal damage. I am just warning you that drilling the pan at the highest point is your best option, especially with a precision turbo. The barbed fitting you have is 3/4" which is equivalent to -10AN as it should.
    The idea was never to step the drain down to a -6. it was to replace what is there with a larger -8 or -10 (whatever his kit came with)

the oil in the drain tube would never exceed the oil level in the pan so long as there was no blockage.

I do not see any issues taking that -6 and upping it to a -10 as long as you size match the hole and the turbo isn't sitting low and close to the oil level.
    Last edited by Yota; 10-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Quote Originally Posted by TheButikofer View Post
    What type of bearing does you turbo have, ball bearing or journal? If ball is there a restrictor build into banjo bolt to reduce pressure and oil flow into the turbo bearing housing?

Nice build by the way.
    Thank you! I thought it was a ball bearing at first but then when I started looking up the specs I found it is a journal bearing.

At this point I'm just going to go with what I was sent and how I was told to run it. I'd prefer to have the warranty incase something goes wrong, especially with my luck with cars... Again, I appreciate all the advice you guys have and are giving, but I'm sure max psi has done their research on this to build the best kit possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have an accurate low range torque wrench that I can borrow on either on the weekend or possibly into early next week, just for a day? I need it for rebuilding my VANOS unit and mine only goes down to 10ft-lb and I wouldn't trust it. I need one that can go to as low as 5ft-lb/60in-lb.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

but I'm sure max psi has done their research on this to build the best kit possible.
    best kit possible and research would never give you a push on hose for your oil return at the turbo. I would never send something like that out if I was producing a top notch turbo kit. what are you going to do? put a hose clamp on that and expect it not to leak?

just sayin man, clearly some corners were cut to save on cost. do what you wish

edit: id like to see the rest of the kit, manifold, etc
    Last edited by Yota; 10-16-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

I want to clear something up since I think I misunderstood what you wrote the first time. You're suggesting, if possible, to drill out the current M12x1.5 fitting on the bottom of the oil pan so that I can fit a -8AN or -10AN fitting in there and then run the T or Y off of that, correct? The drain on the turbo definitely sits well above the oil pan.

I don't have any of my own pictures of it right now.

I'm getting a little bit confused with the different views you and Neema have. ARG! I still have a few days before I have to decide anyway.
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-16-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

drainage equals a happy turbo nabs. push on return hoses equal leaks guaranteed.

think about it this way, theres a few different things here that can go wrong. if your manifold cracks, wastegate or bov diapragm fails, etc. its not because you installed a proper return line.

if the bearings or seals in that turbo let go, you're gonna call those guys and say it needs to get warrantied. they're not gonna ask if you used the supplied line because 40 cents of rubber isnt their concern at that point, its the $1000 turbo. they're only gonna ask you to send in the turbo to get checked. at least you can rule out that excessive oil pressure blew out the seals. do the right thing or else your beemer is gonna be leaving piss spots all over parking lots.

That makes sense. I was actually thinking about it most of today and I figured I'll just go ahead and drill the pan at the recommended spot and get some AN fittings to go with it.

I'll double check on the size of the drill and tap when I get home and hopefully you guys can advise on the fitting sizes from there.

I've said this many times when I worked in retail ; Warranty is just a piece of paper to make dumb people feel safe. Not saying you're dumb just don't be surprised if something fails and they say go pound sand.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

-"But why do they put a guarantee on the box?"

-"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

There was already one guy who had an issue with his manifold and they warrantied it. They especially will if you post up on forums... Mike was also nice enough to reimburse me for the cost of having my manifold machined. We'll see what happens in due time
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-16-2013 at 06:32 PM.

lol good tommy boy reference

With crankcase pressure oil lines have been known to back up higher than the oil level, it is not uncommon. How would he step up to a -10AN without drilling a bigger hole? Doesn't that defeat the whole goal of not drilling the oil pan? You are better off with a dedicated -10AN drain ether braided nylon or stainless, the rubber will work but risk issues with heat.
    Neema

9.75 @ 143.41 MPH

923 hp 735 ft/lbs

In-Car Video Link

Turns out the fitting provided is 3/8", equivalent to -8AN. I'm guessing if I run a 45 degree 3/8" to -8AN fitting on the turbo and oil pan and run a -8AN line between the two fittings I should be good?
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-17-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fixed

-"But why do they put a guarantee on the box?"

-"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

There was already one guy who had an issue with his manifold and they warrantied it. They especially will if you post up on forums... Mike was also nice enough to reimburse me for the cost of having my manifold machined. We'll see what happens in due time

I miss him

Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

I haven't really done much in the last 2 days due to things coming up and class. I did get my new motor mount and mount arm installed yesterday and I removed all the old manifold studs.

New mount arm vs old mount arm. The new one is quite a bit heavier.

Motor mounts. Old one is the aluminum one. The new one is quite a bit shorter but it's just rubber with a metal cup the help with the heat so there shouldn't be any added NVH. I'm going to try and see if the old one will still fit after I get the manifold mounted

Removing the old manifold studs. The new manifold has a pretty think flange so I have to install the longer E36 studs to properly tighten it up.

Last edited by Nabs; 10-18-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast