Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 40 of 74 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by spin-z View Post
    lol. I'm not poking nerves. I wasn't trying to offened you. I didn't read through. just wondering because the manifolds welds are terrible. its crooked and the piping is thin and all different sizes. its a journal bearing turbo and all the fottongs are barbed brass.. kits 2000 bucks with a 7k bmw price. shoulf have asked around and got a deal buying things seperate
    Sorry I lashed out, it wasn't you, it's just been building up. The only way that I could get the tune for the stock ECU was by buying the kit. There's only one person in North America, out of maybe 2 in the world who can write the software for a stock BMW ECU to run a turbo. I really didn't want to go with a standalone right now due to the cost and loss of certain features, and through these guys I have the option to upgrade to flex fuel and stay on the stock ECU. As a bonus they made it so many of the parts that came with kit that you usually would have to upgrade will still be used if I upgrade. Even stuff like my injectors, they said that would be the only thing I wouldn't use if I went to E85 and if I sent in the ones I was given they would give me the proper ones for no cost.

Yes, there are some issues with the manifold, I have already talked to the company and I think they were having some issues with their fabricator, but should it fail they will replace it and I got it straight at no cost in the end. There are also, again, only a few people who make manifolds for this platform and they usually only available if you buy their kits. I was slightly disappointed about the turbo and thought it was ball bearing at first but I'll probably upgrade in the next few years. I realize it's odd to have a "warranty" on a turbo kit and that it might be stupid to believe in it but it was another thing that comforted me when I chose this kit.

I don't know, it just seemed to make sense to buy a kit. I did price it out and with the available offerings specific to this generation M3 it came out to more than what I paid. Maybe I was looking at the wrong stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I was asked for this a while ago, here's the list of parts that came with the kit. If anyone hasn't caught on, the kit was made by Maximum PSI

Stock DME Technique Tuning Turbo Software
    Maximum PSI Twin Scroll Tubular Exhaust Manifold (Ceramic Coated)
    Precision 6266 Twin Scroll Turbo
    Maximum PSI Aluminum Intake Manifold
    Tial MVR Wastegate
    Synapse Diverter Valve
    Front Mount Intercooler & Hardware (22"x8"x3.5")
    MAF Sensor & Harness
    Air Temp Sensor
    Spark Plugs
    Injectors & Connectors (440cc Bosch)
    Fuel Rail Hardware
    Walbro 485 Fuel Pump Assembly
    Intake Pipe
    3" K&N Air Filter
    2.5" Stainless Steel Hot Side Charge Piping
    3" Stainless Steel Cold Side Charge Piping
    All Silicone Couplers & Clamps Required
    Check Valve For Evap System
    Turbo Oil Feed & Drain Assembly
    Oil Pan Drill Bit, Tap, & Template
    Full 3" Stainless Steel Downpipe w/ Optional Catted or Catless Exhaust
    Stainless Steel Wastegate Tube w/ Mounting Hardware
    Turbo Mounting Hardware & Gasket
    Header Mounting Hardware & Gaskets
    Valve Cover Breather Hose & Clamps
    Motor Mount, Mount Arm, & Hardware
    Intake Manifold Brace and Hardware
    Oil Pan Vent Plug Hardware
    IVC Hose, Clamps, & Fittings
    Washer Bottle Pump Tank, & Assembly w/ Hardware
    SMG Relocation Kit & Hardware (if necessary)
    Brake Duct Block & Hardware
    Vacuum Hose & Fittings
    Wiring Supplies
    Zip Ties
    ECU Shipping Bag
    Bumper Weather Stripping
    Last edited by Nabs; 03-03-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Senior Member test

oh it came with a lots of shit... what's all the extra stuff nessesary for?

What extra stuff?
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Ya don't stop posting! Lol this is what I read in my spare time and I love it, you are very detailed. And ya as Mark said, great job dude!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Where would be the best place in town to get some convoluted/corrugated fuel line?

Definitely don't stop posting. This has been my favourite build yet.

Goodall rubber? Down the road from donerite, might have it, just a guess tho

Senior Member test

how did the ceramic coating get worn off? that shit does not come off lol.... I notice its a twin scroll manifold but I don't see any waste gate flanges on it? is there two on the back? and it says waste gate in your parts list. you should have two of them. extra stuff like maf sensor? stock one won't do 8 pounds? air intake sensor? fuel rail? most stock fuel rails support like 1000hp. check valve for evap. washer bottle pump. brake duct block and bumper weather stripping..

The ceramic coating wore off when I took it to AMCO to get the flange straightened. When I got it back it was worn in a few spots.

It came with a single waste gate and the flange comes directly off the exhaust housing. I know FSR Motorsports does the same with their manifolds.

The stock MAF has an integrated air intake sensor and I guess when they switch to the aluminum intake manifold they wanted to separate them as the stock MAF is known to get heat soaked and give high, inaccurate temp readings. They didn't replace the stock fuel rail, they just provided hardware so that it can run the larger injectors. They provided a spacer for the fuel feed line and some custom brackets to hold the rail in because of the taller injectors. The check valve was installed in an already existing line so that the evap system didn't get pressurized through an intake line. The weather stripping is for when you cut the front bumper to fit the intercooler.

The washer bottle and brake duct block is because of the position of the intake. With this kit they wanted to have the ability to maintain all the emissions systems in the car needed to pass emissions testing, if some people require, so they have to relocate the washer bottle and pump. The filter sits where the old brake ducts where so they provided the block off plate so that dirt and debris doesn't get thrown at the filter through the wheel well. I was planning on seeing if I could get someone to modify the intake pipe so that it comes up into the engine bay, seeing as I don't need to worry about emissions and deleted my secondary air pump.
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-21-2013 at 07:43 AM.

On a side note there crabby nabs what happened to those black rims you had on the car when you got it?

They're sitting in the boxes of the new wheels, in my garage.

maybe i missed this, or it wasn't ever stated. What numbers are you expecting to hit when your all done?

Nabs I check every single day for updates on your build! Keep up the posting! I'd also like to swing by to check it out sometime before I move on the 15th.

Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Little late on this update but oh well.

I don't remember if I posted this but here is the new motor mount arm and mount in place. Plenty of room for an intake there

I took out the supplied, proper mount to try and fit my old one. Looks like the supplied one is going back in.

As mentioned earlier I painted the manifold white just for fun and to make it a little different. After baking it, it turned a little off white, kind of a creamy colour.

Also had to install these new longer studs to be able to properly tighten the manifold.

Manifold all taped up and ready to go in.

The manifold went it really easy considering I didn't have to juggle two different pieces at once.

Only took 1 hour to get all the nuts tightened. Almost as much fun as removing my stock headers!

From the top

Then came time for the scary part. Drilling the oil pan. I simply lined up the supplied template, marked it with a sharpie and drilled away!

Oh shit! There's a hole in my oil pan!!!

Tapping wasn't much fun either. I was really worried that I would end up starting the tap slightly crooked and mess the whole thing up. It took a few tries but I finally got it in correctly.

I still have to clean out all the shavings...

The main reason I tapped the pan that day was to test fit the stainless line and fittings I picked up from Truck & Diesel before I took it back for them to crimp the line. Due to space constraints we had to go from the 45 degree fitting on the turbo to a straight fitting and clamp the line directly on the fitting

Getting the turbo in was a lot of fun...

As you can see it was a little long.

That's pretty much it for now. I took the line in and got them to remove half an inch today. I have 2 more midterms this week but after that I will probably head to the border to pick up all my parts and hopefully finish up most of it over the weekend. I hope this weather doesn't last...
    Last edited by Nabs; 10-21-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Senior Member test

Awesome! I want to go for a rip in it next spring.

- - - Updated - - -

That line looked like it would have been fine when you threaded it on

Page 40 of 74 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast