Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Senior Member test

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

omg full lean on a aem wideband is like 18 - 1. shits fucked. y would boosting your car all of a sudden make your coil packs fail. they have nothing to do with anything... wierd. we would have to actually takr a look at it. get someone with ACTUAL experiance and knowledge. your just stabbing in the dark right now.

Sounds like the MAF isn't working right, should be an easy fix. I think it was going lean while he was limping it to a parking lot not while beating on it. If I am wrong then it's possible that its a lot worse.
    Last edited by neeman77; 11-14-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Neema

9.75 @ 143.41 MPH

923 hp 735 ft/lbs

In-Car Video Link

and just to note
    while limping the car he did not enter any boost obviously, engine was kept well below 2000rpm

And yes, it was only while limping the full lean happened

not really sure what would cause a coil pack to just decide to stop like that while driving?
    Last edited by duvanator; 11-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.

My Car Log : 08 Subaru 2.5i

The maf wasn't maf-ing.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Senior Member test

if u want a comp tester or a knowledgable hand. I'm free tomorrow anytime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. Anyone who I've asked is confused about why the hell the coils would fail now and as mentioned, after talking with Max PSI last night it seems like it may be a faulty maf sensor that only seems to act up after going into the upper boost range. Like Eric said, under boost the car was running properly with a mid to high 10:1 afr, it was between 13-15 during normal driving which Max PSI told me is ideal. We constantly monitored afr's and at no point under boost did it even remotely get close to going lean.

I double checked the codes and it seems like the cylinder with the bad coil would throw a code for both a "misfire without cylinder cutout" and a "misfire with cylinder cutout", meaning it stop sending fuel into that cylinder all together, and it followed the bad coil when we swapped the coils. All the other cylinders that experienced a misfire were only throwing codes for a "misfire without cylinder cutout".

I would love to do a comp test just to rule out any other issues at this point. I'm free all day tomorrow except between 1:30-2:30. I was planning on picking up the car late tomorrow morning and bringing it home. I'm not sure if you would prefer to do a comp test while the car is still in town outside and it's freezing or wait until I get it back home in an unheated garage, it's your pick.
    Last edited by Nabs; 11-15-2013 at 02:18 AM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

DAS GERMAN YAH!

sucks to hear this happening. i feel like every time you boost a n/a car you should expected the unexpected. hopefully it all works out!

It's a definitely been a learning experience so far. I believe I'm one of the first few people, if not the first, to install this particular kit without taking it to a shop.

At this point I'm quite confident that it's just the maf and coils. To be on the safe side I'll probably just replace all the coils and keep the good 4 as backups. I never beat on the car and constantly was watching to make sure it was within the acceptable values. If anything driving it on the track would have been way harder on it than compared to the way I've driven it now.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Well you've got the weather cooperating with you Atleast

Senior Member test

im free sat and sun if u want help.

Ya Sunday I'm good to help
    10 Land Rover LR4 HSE
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Anytime on Sunday works for me, let me know what time works best for you guys.

I got the car home yesterday. I pulled the codes again last night and found misfires with fuel cut in both 1 & 6. Cylinder 1 is the one with the bad coil but I'm not sure what is going on with 6 since the coil worked but we swapped it with cyl 2. I'm going to double check the connections to the injectors but they seemed to be clipped in properly.

I guess I should finish updating this thread... This won't be in exact chronological order but it's close enough.

Here is the oil pump disk for the VANOS after getting the new holes drilled.

I also got a "new" beefed up exhaust hub. This is a piece made by a fellow BMW enthusiast in the US and is offered as one of 3 possible "solutions" to fix the issue with the exhaust hub.

More VANOS parts

All new Viton and Teflon seals

Installed the rattle kit on the spline shafts to eliminate the chance of axial play which causes a rattle sound that makes the car sound like a diesel. The shafts were taken apart using the black tools in a previous picture, then the bearing and washers were replaced with the new ones supplied.

Next came the replacement of the cam sprocket bolts. They are known to stretch and even shear off completely. BMW updated the bolts in 2007 for the engines that went into the Z4M. The new ones are the torx head bolts.

All done

Then came the installation of the VANOS hubs. While I had them out I replaced the diaphragm springs in the rear with the updated heavier duty ones from the V8 S62 (E39 M5).

A proper timing tool is required after removing the hubs.

VANOS unit ready to go back in

Back in place

Everything finally back in.

Looks like sorcery to me.

You do realize you scared the crap out of me when I'm scrolling through this to see how you made out with your misfire and I see pictures of your engine apart, right?

Love this update! Really nice work, Dave. I'm sure it will be well worth it next summer when your ripping down the track at Brainerd.

BMW should take a hint from Honda's VTEC system and keep their variable Nockenwellensteuerung simple!

Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast