Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    Looks like sorcery to me.

You do realize you scared the crap out of me when I'm scrolling through this to see how you made out with your misfire and I see pictures of your engine apart, right?
    It's a bit complicated but it makes total sense once you figure it out. The straight part of the splined shafts sit inside the actual cam and are connected to small pistons that are in the VANOS unit. As the exhaust hub rotates the oil pump disk in the VANOS unit the solenoids open and close to allow the now high pressure oil to push or pull the pistons, effectively moving the splined shafts in and out, which rotates the hubs and delays or advances timing.

If you look at the pictures when I changed the cam sprocket bolts you can see the slots in the sprocket that allows for movement of the hubs.

I don't know if this will help you visualize it but it's a pretty cool picture

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    Love this update! Really nice work, Dave. I'm sure it will be well worth it next summer when your ripping down the track at Brainerd.

BMW should take a hint from Honda's VTEC system and keep their variable Nockenwellensteuerung simple!
    But dual VANOS is always kickin' in yo!

There's a bunch of metal shavings in my oil pan...

All clean

A bit of what's going on at this point in the build:
    So the day before I installed the VANOS unit Eric was nice enough to come over and help me work on the car. I had already installed the wastegate and the first part of the downpipe at this point and pulled the O2 sensors from the old headers and temporarily routed them. I didn't really take any pictures since Eric was a slave driver and kept pushing me to work... I did take pictures after so you have an idea of what we did. Eric helped me route the O2 sensors behind the factory heat shields so they wouldn't melt, then Eric finished putting in the second piece of the downpipe, after we wrestled with the thing for 20 minutes, along with the recirculating dump pipe for the wastegate.

With my luck I obviously stripped the O2 sensor I needed. I hand threaded the stupid thing back in April so I have no idea why it did this on the way out... I was able to take another sensor and swap the plugs but the heat shield over the wires on the good sensor was burnt and torn so I had to swap that too and that was a massive pain.

Downpipe

Wastegate in

Some more welds

First piece in

Downpipe fully in place

After that was in we tackled the intercooler and charge pipes next. I had to pull of the intercooler as I didn't trim enough material on the factory intake shroud. The lighting in my garage sucks...

The charge pipe sits low...

Other than that Eric ran most of the vacuum lines while I did something else (I really can't remember...) and then we called it a night. The next day I installed the VANOS as previously seen.

On Sunday I was reinstalling the valve cover and Eric decided to come over again and help. Our goal was to get the car running and we were pretty close. I cleaned out the oil pan thoroughly while Eric reinstalled the coolant expansion tank, then it was a matter of refilling the oil and coolant. While Eric finished up with the fluids and vacuum lines I started temporarily wiring in the wideband and boost controller and then the fun began. While testing the first gauge we found a nice big leak in the fuel system... I forgot to put in an o-ring on the fuel feed line spacer since I either missed it in the bag or they forgot to send it... Anyway I left that job to Eric while I finished the wiring for the gauges. Eric was nice enough to drop the bracket needed to hold the fuel rail in place so then everything had to come out on the intake side, all the way down to the motor mount arm... After he found it and fished it out we reinstalled everything and were ready to start the car up for the first time!!!

I already posted this but I figure some people might have missed it.

Once we got it started we decided to go for a ride that night. At the bare minimum to drive it we had to cut and reinstall the metal reinforcement place. That was a load of fun but once we got it cut and installed it was time for a ride. We let the car idle for a bit for the car to get used to the new tune while we set up the boost controller, then it was time to hit the road.

I had a little bit of trouble driving at first since the car was still cold and I wasn't used to the clutch after not having driven it for almost a month. Once the car started warming up and we were moving it drove like stock, that is until I pressed the gas pedal... I didn't go full throttle at first since we were still on dirt roads and I was slightly scared of how it react. Once the car was at full operating temp and we were on asphalt I decided it was time for a pull. That's when the car decided to over boost but luckily the boost controller kicked in and dropped the pressure immediately. After that we did a few more pulls on the highway with traction control on and it was surprisingly smooth, the power was very linear and pulled all the way to redline but that was only with 7psi. When we got back we let the car idle for a bit to cool down and opened up the hood to see a coupler had actually slightly come off, which explained the 7psi. I later found out we had run the vacuum lines backwards on the boost solenoid and there was another slight vacuum leak from a very little hose at the very back of the engine bay. Everything after that you guys pretty much know.

By the end of the week I decided it was time to finally cut up the bumper and get it remounted so I could drive it in town. It only took me about 3 hours and 40+ dremel cutting disks but I got it cut and remount that same friday that I got stuck in the snow.

One of many test fits

All done. It's pretty stealthy and almost looks OEM. I just have to smooth out a few parts in the spring and it will be practically perfect. I really wanted to get the grill back on the give it an ultimate OEM look but I had to cut the mounting tabs to fit the intercooler and I don't want to cut the bumper anymore. I may try and find a way to fit it in the spring but I'm pretty happy with it now.

Once again, a big thank you to Eric, duvanator, for coming and helping out. If it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't have finished the install by now
    Last edited by Nabs; 01-10-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: broken picture link
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Senior Member test

Looks awesome! I like the black intercooler. Was debating painting mine since its in bad shape

Damn Nabs good build! I can't wait to see this thing next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Deadly man

Way to remind me that he's only in 5 episodes in the new season meanie....

"Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Daammnnn dude that looks amazing!! Can't wait to see it in person next year! Congrats on the successful build!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Final update.

Last night James, Lindsey and Cale came over and a compression test was done. Thanks again guys! Everything turned out to be good, as expected. The compression in all cylinders was at a reasonable value and consistent. The reason the plugs were white was because, as stated before, the car was running lean when I drove it to a friends after the coil died and the multiple misfires. When I pulled the plugs again last night all of them looked healthy except for cylinder 1, where the dead plug was.

Onto the reason the coil died. After asking a few people, looking up part numbers and a few other things, it turns out that a lot of people, not all, who have gone the forced induction route burn through coils initially due to increased heat. At one point there was also a service bulletin for coils produced by Bremi which were known to fail at low mileage and were replaced for no cost by BMW, and while my car doesn't fall within the official specified bad batch it was produced right around the end of that time so I think it may have gotten the Bremi coils but I still have to look. They have since updated the coils and Bosch also produces OEM coils, which most people have better luck with and I will be switching too.

Happy to hear everything is good health.

I was talking to someone about suspension the other day and I remembered I had to deal with something myself.

Something doesn't seem right...

So there's this slight issue...

These pictures are actually from a while ago, just after I got back from my Gimli HPDE weekend. While I was at the track, on the first morning, I started to notice a knocking from the right rear of the car, after figuring that something was up with the strut mount I found that the nut holding the shock into the mount had come loose. All this right after driving on ridiculously rough roads. I tightened it up for the weekend and it was fine. This was with less than 3000km on the coilovers. When I got home I pulled it apart to see what was up and found the oily mess. I thought it was the bushing so I just tightened it up and left it. After it happened again I looked into it a bit more and realized the strut itself was leaking but I didn't want to deal with it until the car was parked.

Now I have just have to contact the manufacturer and get it repaired or replaced. Thank goodness for lifetime warranty!

New ignition coils are on the way as well, I went ahead and ordered 6 new Bosch ones after finding out that my current coils (Bremi) are the ones prone to failure. I'll also be ordering a few more parts this week and around christmas to further beef up my brakes for the track next year (yay sales!).

What kind of coilovers are those lol

They're custom valved Koni shocks made for TC Kline, specifically for the E46.

Unacceptable..

The car runs again! I replaced the one faulty coil and the car started and ran perfectly in -20. No more codes popped up after clearing the old ones so I swapped in the rest of the new coils and will keep the old ones as backups. No more boxer rumble Now I just have to figure out the overboosting issue in the spring and it should be set to go.

Also picked up a NOAH car cover to keep the car cozy for the rest of the winter. It even came with a built in storage bag.

I'm hoping to order a few more small items over the winter. I'm also planning on building a custom vent gauge for boost and afr. Does anyone have experience with VEI gauges?
    Last edited by Nabs; 01-07-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Should have got a cover that said MUSTANG.

Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast