Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1101

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Does anyone have a pilot bearing puller I can borrow for the day?
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

whats the id ? unless youve already got it out
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

Went and rented a tool but even that was too big but I made it work

The trans is already back in, just needs to be fully bolted up. I'll try and post pictures tonight but I still have a long night ahead of me if I want this thing running and on the trailer for 6 a.m.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

not super familiar with the car but watched a few videos on your channel. any other major changes other than the clutch since the last track outing?
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

No other changes. I've been working all summer and maybe only driven it 300km since the end of June. The only thing that I need to do is to upgrade the rad and oil cooler but that may not happen for a while. I've spent way too much on cars this year.

Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

I'm sitting in the hotel in Brainerd and I'm bored so it's picture time!!!

Intake manifold had to come out

Then jacked it up

Slave cylinder was removed

Found some cracks in the rubber coupler from the transmission to the driveshaft, guess it's time for a new one.

Unbolt 10 bolts, 5 of which were a pain in the ass to undo and you have to have a helper to guide the 3ft extension from the engine bay while you push it from underneath. Then drop the transmission

Self-adjusting pressure plate

Clutch still had some life in it

Clutch fork and throw out bearing

Shifter joint

New vs old joint

Plastic clutch fork pivot pin

New metal pin vs old worn pin

Pilot bearings

Guide tube for throw out bearing. BMW is stupid and put a sticker on the new one...

Broke a bolt for the new guide tube, had to extract it. That was fun...

New guide tube installed and greased

old vs new clutch fork

Pin installed on fork

new fork installed

Throw out bearings. The old one was very easy to turn, no resistance, the new one has some resistance to it.

Changed out the rear main seal

Flywheel reinstalled with my lovely locking tool

Clutch all set to go

Pressure plate installed

Last edited by Nabs; 09-11-2015 at 10:58 PM.

11.8 @ 116. On our pump gas!

Right on man thats awesome! How was the new clutch?
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Congrats nabs!

#1000...

Quote Originally Posted by bgodin23 View Post
    Right on man thats awesome! How was the new clutch?
    Thanks! It had a bit of chatter to it and it's pretty stiff but it's pretty much broken in now and a lot better. It also helped when Mike and I bled the clutch at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Congrats nabs!
    Thanks!

So last week ended up being a really busy and frustrating week/weekend for me. Things kept getting delayed and I finally pulled out my transmission on Tuesday and that was it for the day. On Wednesday I was replacing everything clutch and transmission related and broke a guide tube bolt so that set me back. Then when I was on my way to town to get some random parts and tools I experience more car related troubles so a 1 hour trip turned into 4 hours. I finally got the transmission sorted and everything except the transmission installed that same night. On Thursday I had to drive 3 hours just to get a bushing for the shifter and I wasn't able to get the transmission mated back up until the late in the evening. I was planning on leaving 7 a.m. on Friday morning to go to down Brainerd but I didn't have the car fully assembled until 7 a.m. after working all night due to more small issues here and there.

I didn't end up leaving to Brainerd until 12:30 p.m. on Friday after taking a 2 hour nap, loading up the car and packing my stuff in a rush and then I went to help Ian load his car on a trailer. Right after we passed the mill the truck decided that it didn't like me so it threw a check engine light and lost most of it's power, the same issue I had 2 days before with the injector. Luckily it went away after I disconnected the battery and drove it for a while but I lost another hour there. I didn't end up making it to Brainerd until 7:30 p.m. on Friday night and missed racing for the day. I also forgot my laptop charger so I had no way of reading codes or diagnosing anything.

I didn't have the best start on Saturday. I had test driven the car for about 75km before racing and everything was fine but when I went to do my first couple passes the car would not shift at redline. Ended up bleeding the clutch and it helped the feel but didn't do anything for the shifting. It turned out that the clutch engages so low that even with the clutch stop screwed in all the way it was enough to stop it from fully disengaging to be able to shift, so once I removed the clutch stop it was running really good. I made a total of 6 passes on pump gas, with the 2 first passes being the ones I couldn't shift. I was really happy with the pump gas times, ending up with an 11.85 @116.83 and I was only running 8psi.

Race gas was another mess. I drove around for a bit once I got the race gas in, changed the boost on the eBoost and lined up. The car kept cutting out and it looked like it was over boosting so I lowered the boost and lined up again, same problem, this time it was only running 11psi though so it ruled out over boosting. I didn't have my laptop either as it had died Friday and I forgot my charger so I had no way of checking to see what codes it was throwing, if any. Went back and tried again, same issue, but this time I noticed it would happen above 5000 rpm. I figured I'd go do one last pass before the day was over and see if it was the gas so I lowered the boost back down to 8psi but I must have blown the charge pipe on the 3rd pass because when I went to go and do a burnout the car barely lit up the tires but I wasn't looking at the boost controller. Anyway here are the timeslips from the race gas runs.

I was hoping to get it fixed for Sunday before the elimination runs and I figured if I could find a new MAF I could get it to run but I couldn't find anyone with a MAF and I noticed that the car was running slightly lean so I called it a weekend.

When I got home last night I read the codes but the only MAF codes were from when the charge pipe was blown off. I did however find a code related to the fuel level, "141 Filling value plausibilisation" or Tank fill level implausible and it finally clicked in my head that it was probably related to the fuel level issues I started to get recently. Randomly my fuel gauge will show empty even though I've just filled up or just after I go to start the car again. I'm going to check the fuel sender unit and fuel pressure and see what I can find from there.

I'm hoping to try and make it to another drag weekend in October possibly, if I can get these issues sorted out.

TL;DR
    I had a week full of issues and wasn't able to get the car running properly.
    Last edited by Nabs; 11-03-2015 at 01:20 AM. Reason: 1000th post in this thread!!!

I think I found my problem... What's the lottery estimated at?

I eventually re-soldered the wires for the fuel pump and it took a while for the car to readapt but once it did it was running as good as before but I only drove it 3 times since Brainerd and I ended up only driving the car 1400km this year.

I drove it and put it away last Wednesday, just before the snow, so that I could get the car up to temp and get a proper sample for the yearly oil analysis. I also found that one of the power steering lines is slowly leaking and a nut for the sway bar was missing...

I have a bunch of work to do to this over the winter and I'm hoping I'll actually do it now that I have a heated garage to work in. I'm hoping it'll be more fun and faster in the new year
    Last edited by Nabs; 12-14-2015 at 01:57 PM.

I picked up a new all aluminum radiator and a larger oil cooler to try and help combat the overheating issue I'm having on the track. I really want to try and get it back on the road course this year and enjoy it the way I intended to in the first place, not that drag racing isn't fun, I just like to throw myself around corners at 120mph

I also plan on installing all the suspension components that I did get around to last year and finally putting the interior back together after I pull out the CD changer in the trunk. I should have more updates once I start pulling the car apart.

Aww too bad they don't let people ride along at the track anymore at Brainerd.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Quote Originally Posted by 20Specv12 View Post
    Aww too bad they don't let people ride along at the track anymore at Brainerd.
    It's just at MAP events. I really want to go to one of the actual driving schools that BIR puts on themselves, same thing Ian went to, and actually get an instructor in the car with me. If I ever get a chance to go to one this year you're more than welcome to come along Plus you can rent one of their spec race cars, share a car, or get taken for a few laps in a Corvette Z06, Lamborghini Gallardo, Lotus Exige or a Radical SR3 RS.

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast