Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    You don't need to be so rude about it Dave.. jees.. The black looks more aggressive, I'd like to see the front end all put together before I say which looks better or not (imo) but as it stands now, the black looks meaner.
    I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings Kevin, want a hug? Why would I want my car to look aggressive? It's a pansy, has no power and I believe it was you that said "This car though.. Something interesting about this car for me, on the outside you dont think its some crazy sports car inside you dont either.. but everything seems so.. well placed."
    I'm just kidding, I agree it does give it a more aggressive look, just wanted to see how the white looks. I'm actually even thinking of getting rid of the carbon fiber splitters. I keeping seeing pictures of just stock white front bumpers and it looks a lot cleaner.

Here's the a better look with and without angel eyes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Krobsyyy View Post
    All I have to say is... ehh

Not really a fan of the E9x M3's styling but I'm slightly bias having owned 2 E46's. I've seen both of those E46's on M3Forum quite a bit. The white one is clean but there are a few things I would do differently. As for the silver grey one, it's a bit too busy for my liking. Definitely not a fan of the fog covers and CSL spoiler add-on. I've always been a big fan of the OEM look on the E46's but to each there own I suppose.

I really like this look here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=415030

Well I got the subframe out last night after about 4 hours and a few distractions, though about one hour was spent trying to get the subframe out the slightly incorrect way.

Ended up having to remove half the exhaust, only thing left on is headers and the muffler. Also had to remove the heat shield and drive shaft since it didn't want to come out from just the differential end. Probably could make a DIY just saying remove everything.

Driveshaft, CPI section 1 (eliminates rap), OEM section 2

Lifetime oil... right...

Getrag... what's that?

Want to know if you have an M car? Look at any piece on the car, everything has it, and I mean everything...

Finally got it lowered

Mmm, rear ends

That's as far as I got since the car isn't high enough to roll out the rear end without rolling it on the rotors, got some dollies somewhere just have to find them. I looked at the mounting points and it looks like it is crack free which is great but I still have to grind down the coating and see if there are any hiding. I did notice some rust on the subframe so I'll probably clean it up and put on some POR-15 as well as the reinforcements and frame.

I'm really hoping my epoxy comes in today so I can put in the reinforcements tonight and let it cure until tomorrow then reinstall everything before my surgery since I probably won't be able to work on it most of next week. Really want to have everything ready for autoslalom but if I can't get it done I can always pull the Rabbit out of hiding.

What's the best place to get POR-15 in town? I know Auto Home Paints sells it, just wondering if there is somewhere better.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

I would like a hug, thank you.. And to make sure : I wasn't saying your car was boring, or meant any disrespect by what I said - what I meant was, it doesn't look like a Ferrari or Lambo, and the interior isn't some stripped out, caged, rattly mess .. It's luxurious and clean - the whole package works really well at the end of the day and the M3 is a really nicely designed car that isn't boring - but isn't in your face holy crazy boy racer (like an STi / Evo etc.) It's a grown up cool/fast car.

Also, the white especially with the halos on - looks unreal.. really impressed how that came out - surprisingly looks a lot better than the black.. I wonder what yellow tinted highs would look like (even yellow coated bulbs, which by reflection offer a really neat subtle effect) I doubt you'll go this route as you're into the "clean" kinda thing..

You might have seen this but.. Its super clean.
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=404315

Attachment 838
    Attachment 839

Might look good minus the eyebrows, thats really iffffy lol.
    Attachment 840

- - - Updated - - -

IMO this is awesome.
    Attachment 841

Daily Driven, Slammed 99' Honda Civic SiR (EM1)
    "You get what you pay for."

Check out my Flickr Photostream

I would like a hug, thank you.. And to make sure : I wasn't saying your car was boring, or meant any disrespect by what I said - what I meant was, it doesn't look like a Ferrari or Lambo, and the interior isn't some stripped out, caged, rattly mess .. It's luxurious and clean - the whole package works really well at the end of the day and the M3 is a really nicely designed car that isn't boring - but isn't in your face holy crazy boy racer (like an STi / Evo etc.) It's a grown up cool/fast car.

Also, the white especially with the halos on - looks unreal.. really impressed how that came out - surprisingly looks a lot better than the black.. I wonder what yellow tinted highs would look like (even yellow coated bulbs, which by reflection offer a really neat subtle effect) I doubt you'll go this route as you're into the "clean" kinda thing..
    I know what you meant, just having a little fun, plus sarcasm isn't really evident through text. I'm still really undecided on the white, if I do decide to get rid of the splitters there will be too much white and the back gap around the edge kind of kills it for me. And as you said the black gives it a more aggressive look, the white gives it a cleaner look IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Krobsyyy View Post
    You might have seen this but.. Its super clean.
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=404315

Attachment 838
    Attachment 839

Might look good minus the eyebrows, thats really iffffy lol.
    Attachment 840

- - - Updated - - -

IMO this is awesome.
    Attachment 841
    The car in the link really makes me want to go back to the stock front end, it's just so clean. Never really been a fan of flat face wheels and dish though, more of a concave guy The car from the link and the last attached image are the same. The 2nd and 3rd seem too busy with the vented hoods and the bumper on the 3rd is nasty. The car in the 1st attached image I've definitely seen before. As a matter of a fact, I've stated this somewhere here before, I almost bought that exact car. Had a deposit on it and ticket to Seattle to go pick it up. The guy sold it to a local from under me, was super mad at first but now looking back I'm glad I didn't end up with that car and got to start my own project with the exact car I wanted from the start.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Please leave the splitter, looks so good. But it is your car

Those little changes to your car from stock, well the ones that you have done so far anyways make it neckbreaking status

Concave is good
    Dave, you have great taste and im sure what ever you do it will look real good.

Daily Driven, Slammed 99' Honda Civic SiR (EM1)
    "You get what you pay for."

Check out my Flickr Photostream

Love.. sooo much...

The black line around the housing is a little weird now that you mention it - is that the foam/gasket stuff for your lens? You don't have butyl or anything in there if I recall.. Might be able to find white sealant to match??

Do you still have the chrome E46r shrouds I gave you? Might want to pop those on and see how chrome looks in the white and if you have a spare black bezel, see how that looks too..? Black and chrome would be very OEM I would think..

333hp is no power?

Love.. sooo much...

The black line around the housing is a little weird now that you mention it - is that the foam/gasket stuff for your lens? You don't have butyl or anything in there if I recall.. Might be able to find white sealant to match??

Do you still have the chrome E46r shrouds I gave you? Might want to pop those on and see how chrome looks in the white and if you have a spare black bezel, see how that looks too..? Black and chrome would be very OEM I would think..
    Just the gap between the bezel and the lens, no butyl or anything and the gasket is hidden so no way to get rid of it. I do still have a set of chrome shrouds but the ones you gave me are the ones I painted. I really don't want to take the shrouds off again, last time I damaged the perfect finish so I'll probably just paint the bezel black again. Black and chrome could be very OEM since they all come like that, I have yet to see one person with white E46 shrouds which makes my car unique

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    333hp is no power?
    Sarcasm... but it all depends on who you ask, to me it's more than enough right now since my previous vehicles were less than half of that. It's going to be a bit more in the near future

A boser hood (or hood add on's) would deff set the front of your car off imo

People are probably tired of hearing this but for me OEM look = best.

Finally got the subframe reinforcements in late last night. Took a while to get all the undercoating off and had to do some slight modification to the plates to get them to fit without having to remove the tank. Once I had all the undercoating off I used degreaser on both surfaces of the frame and plates to make sure that there were no contaminants then waited until they were dry to apply the epoxy. I did my best to apply a thin even layer of epoxy on both surfaces then used bolts to put pressure on the plates and squeeze out any excess epoxy. I spread part of the excess epoxy around the edge of the plate to make sure it was fully sealed and removed whatever else that wasn't needed. I ended up using an entire 50ml cartridge though I thought I may have needed more at first, it ended up being the perfect amount. Currently have a heater under the car to try and maintain a good temperature to let the epoxy cure for a few days while I'm out of commission.

Right rear (bottom of picture points to rear)

Left rear (bottom points to rear)

Right front (top points to rear)

Left front (top points to rear)

Right rear w/ undercoating removed

Left rear

Right Front

Left front

Plates epoxied and in place

My absolutely messy work area

In the first few pictures you can see where the subframe bushings make contact with the frame. A lot of people attribute the small distributive area to partially causing the cracks, as you can see I have none. Usually when replacing those bushings, people upgrade to polyurethane bushings that are flat faced and help distribute to load better than the OEM bushing, as well as installing the plates to help with the load as well. Since the car only has 45k miles I didn't feel it necessary to replace them as they are known to last for almost 100k miles.

Once the epoxy cures and I can work on the car again I just have to coat the rear with POR-15 or an equivalent to prevent rust, then replace the rear trailing arm bushings and limiters, and install the new shocks and springs. I may need to rent an RTAB removal/installer tool from the states if I can't get the old bushing out using my homemade tool.

Great work! Can't wait to see all the hard work paid off!
    Last edited by MarcGSR; 09-29-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Removed quote - Posting Guidelines #4

What kind of epoxy did you use? The stuff I've used in the past required you to scuff the areas to be bonded with 36 grit paper to give the metal "tooth".

Shouldn't you have welded those plates in?
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    What kind of epoxy did you use? The stuff I've used in the past required you to scuff the areas to be bonded with 36 grit paper to give the metal "tooth".
    Loctite Hysol E-60HP, it's supposed to be for high strength structural bonds with a shear strength of about 4300psi. The instructions didn't mention anything about scuffing the area, just that it be free of paint, oil, dirt, etc. I used a 3M rust and paint stripping disk I had from before to remove the undercoating and used it to scuff the plates as well, it's pretty coarse and you can see the marks in the pictures. Also used a wire wheel for the hard to reach areas.

Most others that I've seen using this method use a 3M panel bonding adhesive which is not meant for structural bonds and has a lower strength. I figured a high strength industrial grade epoxy should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Yota View Post
    Shouldn't you have welded those plates in?
    Yes and no. A lot of people have epoxied these plates in with no problems although the vendor does recommend welding and if you have existing cracks in the frame you need to have them welded anyway. From what I have read, (did quite a bit of reading), using epoxy can be as strong if not stronger than welding. My main reason for not welding in the plates is that I can't weld and there are quite a few addition steps and measures needed to be taken if I had them welded in. There have been a few people that have had these welded in and they ended up failing/rusting through (done improperly or FI cars). For the most part the plates are there to help distribute the load from the subframe while under compression to help prevent cracks when loading and unloading the rear of the car and the epoxy is sufficient in covering the entire area of the plates to do so.

There is an alternative to the plates in which people will inject the frame with structural foam as per BMW's instructions, although some people will do both methods just to be on the safe side. There is one particular person who had their subframe tear out and rust after having the plates welded in and he ended up cutting the whole floor out, welding in a floor from the convertible (supposedly stronger), epoxy in a new set of plates and inject his frame.

If you feel I made a mistake and should have welded them for a particular reason I am more than willing to learn

Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast