Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

No, not that you made a mistake, just seems like something that should of been welded in.. Im a welder and I don't know anything about that epoxy and trust that you have done your research. Given where we live with the humidity and drastic temp changes we see, it might take a toll on that epoxy.. I just hate to see you take a an alternative route with this car because you couldn't do the welding, when we could of worked out something and I would of welded it up for u..

I know welding and I can tell you, the reason guys are having problems with welding, rust, and breaking is because of poor prep, perocity in welds and too much heat for that sheet metal, not to mention if those guys didn't paint it after they welded which I'm sure someone did lol
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    If you feel I made a mistake and should have welded them for a particular reason I am more than willing to learn

I was gonna say "if you don't like the way it's done, and if you can do better, feel free to come and do it"

Quote Originally Posted by Yota View Post
    No, not that you made a mistake, just seems like something that should of been welded in.. Im a welder and I don't know anything about that epoxy and trust that you have done your research. Given where we live with the humidity and drastic temp changes we see, it might take a toll on that epoxy.. I just hate to see you take a an alternative route with this car because you couldn't do the welding, when we could of worked out something and I would of welded it up for u..

I know welding and I can tell you, the reason guys are having problems with welding, rust, and breaking is because of poor prep, perocity in welds and too much heat for that sheet metal, not to mention if those guys didn't paint it after they welded which I'm sure someone did lol
    Thanks for the insight James, I appreciate it. It's not that I couldn't do the welding that I didn't do it, I was talking to a friend about what I was doing and he even offered to come out and weld it for me. I have looked over the use of epoxy for this application for most of the summer after I had ordered the kit and had I not believed it to be a viable method then I would not have used it. I'm not worried about humidity and temp changes as the epoxy will not be exposed and there is nothing in the area of the plates that will give off great enough heat to weaken the epoxy, I will be coating to frame and plates to ensure that it will hold up over time, just as if it were to be welded in. There is one area of concern in the truck floor that is supposed to be cut and welded per vendor instructions but can be skipped if using structural foam injected into the frame. I will be injecting the foam at a later as it is getting too cold for it to flow properly. I do not have any intention of cutting corners when it comes to proper maintenance of this vehicle.

If you're interested in reading up on the method I used and will be using you can check this out: DIY: Subframe reinforcement epoxy/foam method

Posts #32 and #35 have some interesting information regarding the use of epoxy

Here is the installation PDF from the vendor: E46 Rear Subframe Enforcement

Here's an example of what can happen even after having the HPF plates put in (no structural foam), keep in mind this is a high HP car: Reinforced Subframe EPIC Failure

"Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Lots of power broke the floor?? What the ff...

Stock power can do it too

See the rest here: Subframe nightmare

This is why I put the plates in, because I don't want to have to deal with a $7K+ bill later on. I also found out that shops that actually do install the reinforcements charge more than $1000...
    Last edited by Nabs; 09-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

I've never ever heard of frame damage happening to the G's ever ever and I do a ton of reading on my forum. Unless from a major accident of course.

It's neat to learn this stuff about other people's cars, good knowledge for the future.

Appreciate all the in depth posts and pics!

Anytime! Wow I had no idea those M3's had that problem... I would be PISSED if that happened to my car and it was the manufacturers fault.
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Finished catching up on this thread, I got to hand it to you Dave, nice work! Those pics of the ripped sub-frame are scary. Really good call on your part tackling this issue before it becomes an /issue/. I would inject the frame next summer just to be on the safe side. PS. I think the white housings look good with the white shroud and white car. IMO I'd ditch the splitters and keep the front end OEM, however it still looks very nice the way it sits right now. Judging by all the pics of Bimmer front ends littered throughout this thread my favourite would be the all black housings, shrouds, and reflectors. Murdered right out. Does anyone make a cf lip for your car that incorporates the splitters but goes across the whole bottom edge? The white shrouds and housing make your car stand out from the rest of the BMW scene, sometimes it's nice to not follow the crowd. Keep the updates coming, this thread is great a read. Any word on your header, have they made it yet?

Thanks Marc. It was something that was scaring me every time I'd drive and I would start hearing things that weren't actually there. Since I had to remove the rear trailing arms to get at the bushings I thought another few extra hours of work would be worth it. I'll definitely be injecting the frame in the spring or summer, the sooner the better. At this point I'm going to take care of any outstanding maintenance for this year and make it a top priority next year as well. Next year I plan on changing all the fluids and filters and I will also be doing a valve adjustment as I don't think it was done previously and it's recommended every 30K miles.

I decided to go back to the black housings yesterday. I really liked the colour matched bezels on my old BMW and it worked since it was silver but with white it was a bit iffy for me. The black bezels make the white shroud and angels eyes stand out a bit more IMO. I've never been a fan of the all black look and since my inner reflector bowls are functional it wouldn't make sense. There are actually 2 companies that make a 1 piece lip with the splitters and eventually I may go down that road but I would like to save up for other things first (i.e. wheels & trunk).

The header thing is a bit complicated. At the beginning they were only expecting just over 10 people to order them then near the end we ended up with 20+ in the group buy. That delayed things a bit but we later found out that the head fabricator at the vendor's plant was injured so they were looking for a replacement and that was going to cause a further delay. We just got an update that they found a new fabricator and the vendor was going to test fit a set of headers on Monday so that there wouldn't be any fitment issues, so hopefully if those clear then they should be starting production full steam. I doubt I'll have them in before I put the car away but I can't really complain when they dropped another $50 off because of delays, bringing the total to $190 of the list price. The vendor we are dealing with is very well known for the quality of their products as well as their customer service at a really great price. I'll probably be getting a CSL trunk from them in the future. Anyways it's much better than the shit I'm dealing with regarding my diffuser since January.

I'm hoping to have the car put back together tonight if everything goes well and maybe I'll be able to make it out to the autoslalom tomorrow. I may not be competing but I really want to make it out.

Are you thinking of a carbon trunk or moulding the csl spoiler into your existing trunk? Regarding the header, it's worth waiting to get the product you want at the price your want. Patience is a virtue. Hope to see you out tomorrow. If you need a hand with anything while your gimped up don't be shy to ask lol

Since I'll be painting it I'll probably be going with fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP), it's cheaper and weighs just a slight bit more than carbon fiber and is quite a bit cheaper and easier to fix. Molding a spoiler would probably cost as much and never look as good as proper trunk, plus the handless design looks a lot cleaner. Headers will definitely be worth it. Should be able to get about 10-15whp with just the headers alone. Thanks for the offer but I should be good as long as my mom helps out with bleeding the brakes

- - - Updated - - -

5 hours to completely reassemble the car, well everything that had to be taken out for the subframe. All I have to do now is put on the engine under tray, front bumper and adjust the ride height and it'll be good to drive

Some photos from last night:

Upgraded rear shock mount.

Rear shock installed. The ring is a reinforcement and allows for removal of the shock from the fender well.

Upgraded rear differential mounting bolts. They get rid of the slack in the threaded area to reduce clunking and chance of snapping which causes further damage.

Differential

Subframe reinforcements painted and ready for some action

Linear rear spring vs OEM rear spring

Rear control arm reinforcement. Helps prevent the rear ride height adjuster from breaking the control arm due to the load being distributed on a much smaller area.

Rear spring and shock in place.

The hardest part was getting the subframe to line up with the bolts and jacking it up but other than that everything was quite easy, just the reverse of removal. I made sure everything was torqued to spec and there were no missing bolts thankfully. I started at 5 and finished installing the bumper and all the under trays by 11. Tonight I have to bleed the rear brakes, clear the codes caused by removing the wheel speed sensors and brake pad sensor and it should be good to go other than dialling in the ride height and rebound settings. Rebound is currently set to 0.5 turns from full soft in the front and 1 turn from full soft in the rear.
    Last edited by Nabs; 07-02-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Attachment 933

I was almost positive that the rear ride height adjuster went on top. At least I'm 100% positive that is how it is installed on my car.

I found this bmw pic with it also installed on the top?

And this is how it looks on my car.

Attachment 934

In the bottom of my spring cup there was grooves for the spring to seat into, where you put that spring reinforcement piece. Does that have anything to do with it being installed the other way?

Just something I noticed but I'm sure you know exactly what you are doing and I'm just mistaken as I do not know your car to well.
    Last edited by Canadiotica; 10-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Good eye. The BMW you posted has KW suspension which has an adjuster that is molded to fit over the top body mount (4th picture from bottom in last post, far right just below subframe bolt). I have heard that the adjuster can be placed on either the top or bottom but most people put it on the bottom, some people even bolt it in place. If you look at the spring you'll notice the bottom is flat to fit the adjuster and the top isn't (rubber mount fits in there) and usually you want to have the spring the right way up so that you can read the spring rate, hence why the adjuster is on the bottom. The vendor I ordered the suspension and spring reinforcement through actually make an articulating spring perch with a built in reinforcement that sits on the bottom and has a bolt to adjust the ride height instead of taking the wheels off to get at the adjuster.

Ah neat that would be quicker not to take your wheels off to adjust ride height!

Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast