Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

I personally don't like the colours in the shroud at all, plus those quad angel eyes make that bmw look sad ...

I think a red ring on the inside lip of your white e46 shroud would look cool. Subtle..

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    I'm confused Kat...

- - - Updated - - -

General question, kind of have an idea of the answer but would like some feedback. I haven't done an oil change on the car yet this year (<6000km) and it's already been sitting for a 3 weeks. I ordered an oil analysis kit from Blackstone Labs and would like to send in an optimal sample but that requires actually driving the car not just idling, which is not ideal for the sample and not good for the engine, although I can send in a cold sample if I have to. I know most people say change the oil before storage but it's not ideal to do so at the moment. How much of a difference would it make if I drain the oil now (cold) and refill it and change the filter when I finally get the oil or just wait until I start it up in the spring?

(I could always pull it out and do donuts in the driveway for 20 minutes if I really have to... )
    So you want to drain the oil and let the motor sit empty until you get more oil or till the spring? Shouldn't be an issue. When you let your vehicle sit the oil all drains into the pan anyway. Just don't accidentally try and start it. Personally would put oil in JUST in case you need to start it. I was under the impression your intake valve seals weather better if you start it up sometimes and let them get all oiled up. As for the sample, no clue about that so no input.

I don't like the idea of having my engine sit there without oil for like 6 months.. I don't see that being better for it than having oil that needs to be changed sit in it..

It's a really bad idea to start your car if you don't intend on getting it up to full operating temp by driving it, especially during winter, whether or not you store it or DD it as it will cause excessive moisture build up in the crankcase and cause the oil to gunk up. The oil ends up looking like mayo.

Technically the car is stored as of the beginning of the month so I don't plan on starting it. I'll just be swapping bays with my VW so that a pool of salt water doesn't collect under it... that is once I stop being lazy and put the rotor and wheel back on or just forget about exams...

Doesn't really need an oil change because the oil is worn it's just a usual item taken care of before storage, but it just so happens I can't get my oil from any regular store, online or local. It wouldn't be sitting without oil for the whole 6 months, just until I get the oil next week but now that I think about it it's not worth it to worry about it now, I'll just change the oil in the spring after I run it for a day or two.
    Last edited by Nabs; 11-29-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    I don't like the idea of having my engine sit there without oil for like 6 months.. I don't see that being better for it than having oil that needs to be changed sit in it..
    well.. depends. all the crap thats in the dirty oil is going to end up at the bottom of the oil pan. since that is where the pump pulls from (the bottom) when he starts it in the spring its going to pull sludge and push that through first. Letting the motor sit either way for 6 months leaves the oil in the pan or not in the pan at all if he leaves it empty. Its essentially the exact same thing. Would change oil before starting in the spring. Not run it for a few days first. Oil is a pretty opinion based thing though. Everyone has different thoughts on it.

Screw it, donuts in the driveway it is, unless... Kevin, how bad do you want to see this thing in the snow on some good ol' country roads...?
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

It's a really bad idea to start your car if you don't intend on getting it up to full operating temp by driving it, especially during winter, whether or not you store it or DD it as it will cause excessive moisture build up in the crankcase and cause the oil to gunk up. The oil ends up looking like mayo.
    I love mayo.

Ahh, valid. I'd drain it and let it sit till you get new oil. It'll be way better then pumping through dirty oil come spring.

Screw it, donuts in the driveway it is, unless... Kevin, how bad do you want to see this thing in the snow on some good ol' country roads...?
    Tandem snow drifting shots???
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Sounds like a good idea but I may need to brush up on my drifting skills first, it's been a while since I've driven a RWD car in the snow. Also isn't Kevin against the whole "group shots" idea?

Thats awsome!!!!
    Marc laughed at me when I told him I do a full oil change ect before storage...'waste of money..'...Id never not leave it with oil tho....badd idea.

If you do take your car for a drift..I want a front row seat...that'd look deadly!!!!

What kind of oil are you running that you cant get local or online tho?
    Last edited by Kattty; 11-30-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Meh. Who cares what Kevin wants lol. I have a Nikon camera we're good to go.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Quote Originally Posted by Kattty View Post
    Thats awsome!!!!
    Marc laughed at me when I told him I do a full oil change ect before storage...'waste of money..'...Id never not leave it with oil tho....badd idea.

If you do take your car for a drift..I want a front row seat...that'd look deadly!!!!

What kind of oil are you running that you cant get local or online tho?
    You can get it online but usually only from dealerships or vendors that stock OEM branded parts. It's Castrol EDGE Professional TWS 10W-60 for the M series engines and BMW approved. Another "BMW M tax" item. Used to be called TWS Motorsport 10W-60. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-...e/Oil/ES10317/

If you can find this locally or for cheaper (highly doubt it's possible) you'd be my hero.
    Last edited by Nabs; 11-30-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Kathryn, I laughed when you said you want to change it before putting it away and again before taking it out again. You only need clean oil in it before storage, it will be fine come spring.

Nabs, if you want my advice leave the old for now, it really hasn't been sitting for very long. Then when you get your Castrol shipment in next week warm it up to operating temp, change it and walk away till you take it out again.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Changing the oil before and after storage definitely sounds excessive.

Since I won't have time next week due to exams I plan on putting it back together tonight, starting it up tomorrow, do a few donuts in the driveway, see if it will actually move and maybe drive a bit on the country roads then drain the oil and properly store it tomorrow then fill it up and change the filter quickly next week.

I'll try and get some videos of the shenanigans... if they occur.

my oil however..isn't as elusive as yours

excessive...I'm OCD/anal sometimes..this is one of those times.
    Last edited by Kattty; 11-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast