Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Just do what you think looks best not what everyone else thinks
    Neema

9.75 @ 143.41 MPH

923 hp 735 ft/lbs

In-Car Video Link

So the whole point of me asking questions recently about raising the car and whether I should go with white or silver was because I just picked up a new set of wheels. I was planning on getting them in the summer but a great deal came up so I pulled the trigger a bit earlier. They weigh 19.10 lbs each, compared to the stock weights of 24.70 lbs and 26.90 lbs, total savings of 26.8 lbs of unsprung, rotating mass.

They were packaged very well, they had a cover over the face of the wheel and a plastic ring to protect the outside edge.

These photos don't show the concavity of the faces very well.

I bought some Opti-Coat 2.0, which some of you may heard of, to apply to the wheels as well and was planning on using it on the car as well once it gets detailed this year. It's a liquid sealant essentially and once it hardens it adds approximately 2 microns (IIRC) on top of the factory clear coat, so that the paint is further protected and it's permanent unless you sand it off or use a very aggressive polishing compound. It costs about $70 for about 20ml which, if applied properly, is claimed to be enough to cover 2 small to mid size vehicles. I figured it would be a good investment to protect the wheels and car and help with cleaning the crazy amount of brake dust I get.

- - - Updated - - -

One other little thing. Some friends bought me a clock recently, they had no idea I ordered my wheels.

It even has a 245/40/18 which is the exact size I'm running on my front wheels!

- - - Updated - - -

Had some fun with my dad's 5D and studio lights.

Last edited by Nabs; 07-02-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

...curious what insurance is charging you to drive the BMW M3?

...collision or no collision?

thoese rims look SWEET

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    ...curious what insurance is charging you to drive the BMW M3?

...collision or no collision?
    I can't remember the exact number but it's not that bad, I believe it's <1500. I wouldn't go with anything less than full coverage, especially with this car.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Nice rims, they should suit the car really well!
    Neema

9.75 @ 143.41 MPH

923 hp 735 ft/lbs

In-Car Video Link

.... $1500 seems like a reasonable rate especially with collision...Curious how old you are & assume you also have another vehicle on the policy too, along with your house?
    it's got me thinking anyways:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ442749779

Don't quote me on the $1500, I can't remember if that's full year or just half the year and it may be more. The car is under my parents policy and I'm not the primary driver, both of which make it considerably cheaper.

It all depends on what you want it for, weekend car for the summer or full year DD. If it's going to be a DD I would be wary of the SMG, especially if you are going to get it because of the auto mode. It is known to be clunky around town, more so than the manuals are, and unless you are using manual mode it will not be entirely predictable. There are also several known issues with the SMG components that you may or may not have problems with, it varies with each vehicle. Not that manual is better than SMG or SMG is better than manual, but each person has a different opinion.

Be aware of the costs to maintain the vehicle as well. There are several known issues with the engine, SMG, subframe mounting points, cooling system etc., all of which can become very expensive fast. Because it is an M vehicle parts alone will cost 2-3 times more than a normal BMW, aka "M tax". If you do decide to get one, get a pre-purchase inspection to make sure there are no major problems with the vehicle.

I'm not trying to scare you or anyone, just want to make you aware that it will be a bit more to maintain. One thing that a lot of people on the forums say is that the car was originally >$60 000 so expect to pay the price to maintain a >$60 000 vehicle.

I saw in your album you had some pictures of a ZHP coupe, is that yours by chance?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neeman77 View Post
    Nice rims, they should suit the car really well!
    Thanks Neema! I'm just really excited to have something other than black wheels on the car, plus going with a BBS design is almost never a bad idea.
    Last edited by Nabs; 03-12-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Nice wheels, great buy! Gonna be rolling on some new shoes for the summer you and I

Who's getting the fender roller? because I'm thinking of just buying one if no one else is...

Daily Driven, Slammed 99' Honda Civic SiR (EM1)
    "You get what you pay for."

Check out my Flickr Photostream

I heard Marc was getting a roller, but I guess the only way of really knowing is asking.

I had one at one time and sold it on ebay, sorry guys.
    Neema

9.75 @ 143.41 MPH

923 hp 735 ft/lbs

In-Car Video Link

I'll rent mine out for $50. Those rims really suit your car, Nabs. If you get bored of the silver you can plasti-dip them white. I saw a white M6 last night but didn't have my phone to snap a pic.

Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Was it the new M6 or the previous generation? I absolutely love the look of the new one. I used to like the look of the old one but in general the previous Bangle style BMW's are plain ugly.

I'm going to try a little experiment with some plasti-dip I have sitting around to see if it's possible to clear coat it and still easily peel it off. It seems like most people get mixed results depending on how many coats used and how long the plasti-dip dries beforehand. I found some pictures of concave white BBS RC's and they just look so good. At one point I will try the white on white look for sure.

Attachment 1742Attachment 1741Attachment 1743Attachment 1740

I also coated my wheels the other night with the opti-coat. It works amazingly, I'll post up a quick video tonight.
    Last edited by Nabs; 03-15-2013 at 03:23 PM.

That gen is an e36 isn't it? I've always liked that style. Second to e30s

That is an e36, correct. I've always felt that the e36 was too boxy or square, but I know at least one other person that disagrees. I always thought that the e46 was more of a curvy, rounded and modern version of the e36, which I prefer, obviously. It's crazy to think the e36 was released 21 years ago and the e46 is a 14 year old design.

Page 25 of 74 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast