Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK3 Volkswagen Jetta GTS 2.Slow

Ben

MK3 Volkswagen Jetta GTS 2.Slow

MarcGSR was pushing his effection towards me at the last meet and I can't say no to that face so here I am, back on the forum. I don't really have anything to post as I haven't been working on anything but I'll try my best with what I've done to my current car.

It's a 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GLS, ABA 2.0L 8 Valve with 4 speed automatic (Yuck), the correct title of the colour would be "Memory Red" which has the LC3M paint code, however, I refer to this beast of magical beauty as "The 2.Slow" or "The Barbie Car".

Here it is plated and on the road.

DIY ALERT!
    It was time to adjust the cool levels for my headlights

Took them out and placed them in the oven set to 200 degrees fahrenheit and waited about 15 minutes to melt the sealant

Once I had the glass lens removed it was time to begin the process of sanding off the chrome areas where I want to paint which is everything other then the beveled reflector area so I don't disrupt the beam pattern.

Because of my last attempt at such resulted in the chrome coating being removed by the tape used to mask off the reflector I decided that this time around I would use a brush and paint them by hand. (I used Black Krylon Paint & Primer in one and sprayed it into a paper cup)

This is how it looks after it was all paint, let it sit over night to dry and reassembled with RV Roof sealant.

Before and After shot, left is obviously OEM and the right is the smoked light.

The final look after I finished them both.

On to the next duty of order, my broken bumper. This happened years prior to the car being mine when it hit a snow bank and it was bandaged with duct tape so I'm going to give it a shot.

Sanded down the paint around the crack, plastic welded it back together, sanded it down, applied plastic fuser, sanded that, short hair fiberglass filler, gave up on fixing it after that.

Ended up going to Bucks and scoring this for $40.00, I'm considering some aero mods before it goes on the car in the spring. Attempt to bring up that mileage marker of 22MPG US

While driving down Lakeshore Drive (before I re aimed my headlights) I couldn't see anything so I had my highbeams and lowbeams on at the same time, the result was the left headlight "burnt out" or so I thought until I arrived home and noticed my SilverStar bulb had literally exploded.. $70.00 down the drain

The right side headlight ended up being a poor quality aftermarket light so the beam pattern didn't hit the ground like it does on the OEM Hella light on the left, so when my left light burnt out I had zero visibility infront of me and almost hit a construction pylon on my way home.

The highbeam doesn't even hit the ground so I need to locate a non broken passenger side light and smoke that to match.

Purchased Euro Lite bulbs from Canadian Tire for $30.00 and they are entirely worth the money, the bluish tinted bulbs are a result of perfectly white output without over powering on coming traffic.

I followed the 3 part Rain-X treatment (wipers, activator, washer fluid) and the result was quite pleasing compared to what I had on the car before.

Purchased driving lights from Canadian Tire and wired them up to the highbeam ignition rather then a separate switch so they automatically turn on when I engage highbeams. (if you have illegal HID's then you've probably seen these guys hit your retinas)

Purchased 68 SMD LED tail light bulbs online and I can say that I am personally never going back to an incandescent bulb.

I like how they have an instant on and off and fill the entire lighting socket with pure red output, they also have a further distance of visibility with no increased brightness (they are no brighter but can be seen from further away).

Here is a picture I didn't use my phone for.. It's my 5 new BMW 4x100 Bottle Caps and 4 of them have 185/70/R14 winter tires I picked up for $60.00

OEM 195/60/R14 summer wheels

BMW 185/70/R14 winter wheels

The last completely mandatory performance upgrade I performed was the 2.Slow stickers, that's like 20HP.

All that I have left are some miscellaneous pictures.

End of the drive way to make it look lower

Learn to park, I'm surprised he even made it within the lines.

Forest crawling

That's it, thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Ben; 10-29-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Re: 1997 VW Jetta 2.Slow

Welconme back Ben..

i gotta ask, do you still have that helio's Jetta??

Yes, but it's in the field where volkswagens go to die.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Clutched? View Post
    Yes, but it's in the field where volkswagens go to die.
    AKA. "My backyard" lol.

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with that car anymore, I just have no way to afford insurance, it was $6600.00 a year BEFORE I got my one and only speeding ticket. August 18th 2011, going 160km/h in a 70km/h construction zone on the highway, The officer said he clocked me in at 141km/h but he lowered the ticket to 139km/h and wrote it down as a 90km/h since there were no official "Construction Zone Starts" sign anywhere, only pylons on the shoulder. The best $610.00 paid out under the worst circumstances.

Kind of funny really how I would never take the 2000 Jetta TDI passed 105km/h and the one time I have something faster and I go for it and get a ticket. The worst part was it was just after 2:00am without a single car around other then me and the dark brown unmarked OPP with his lights off hiding on the on coming shoulder behind the reflective pylons so I couldn't see him until I was right beside him and he threw the lights on.

..never..speeding..again, bad for fuel mileage too
    Last edited by Ben; 10-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.

lmfao, no shame in that, thats where my 92 MK2 is sitting LOL

- - - Updated - - -

btw, i'm not suprized Kevin isnt in here preaching to you about a Retro-fit LOL all jokes aside, that car looks good man, post a pic of this so called "VW graveyard"

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by E IN v Y View Post
    post a pic of this so called "VW graveyard"
    This is from last week when I removed the FOHA body kit, put on my crappy mismatched transportation tires so I could bring it over to where it's stored for the winter, car cover is back on it too and it's safely tucked away for the cold.

Here is the 1991 turbo diesel I was going to try and get on the road for winter so I don't have to drive the pink piece of crap anymore but it's not looking too good

It needs brakes (pads, shoes, rotors, drums, lines) the hand brake doesn't work at all, the trunk wont latch, one tail light is slightly melted, basically every bushing in the car is past due, headlights, window tint on the front windows is more then 35% so that's illegal, The headlight wiring needs to be rewired since the previous owner has installed illegal HID's which were removed but now the lights are constantly wired up so there is no lowbeam, only high on both settings, the headlights are tinted yellow which shouldn't matter but when this was done the lenses got cracked so I need to replace either the lenses or just the whole light, front axles, new suspension because the front axles are rubbing on the frame since it's literally "too low" and I threw on the BBS RA's so it looks better sitting in the yard lol. On the bright side the exhaust was just done before I got the car and I'm scared to get it up on the jack stands so I can check out what's going on with the floor to see how bad the rust is.

I may just call it all off as a winter car and turn this into a strictly track car since it has no A/C, no power windows, no power lock, no power steering, no sunroof, and if it's a track car then I don't have to worry about as much of the road safety standards like blinkers and headlights or window tint.
    The Idle has also been lowered to as low as it can go with the fuel screw set to as much fuel as it can go without raising the idle, as well as a KKK K24/26 Turbo set up from an Audi 80/100 TD so it smokes out a street with soot and it's pretty damn quick for a diesel, When the pressures released from the turbo, the waste gate makes one hell of a noise. I just wish I had a 1.9L 1Z/AHU engine to replace the 1.6L but we can't win it all.
    Last edited by Ben; 10-29-2012 at 07:19 PM.

lmfao, no shame in that, thats where my 92 MK2 is sitting LOL

- - - Updated - - -

btw, i'm not suprized Kevin isnt in here preaching to you about a Retro-fit LOL all jokes aside, that car looks good man, post a pic of this so called "VW graveyard"
    Why would I preach retrofits to Ben when he knows all about retrofits and projectors.. Also why would I preach retrofitting a car he hates - or the other 2 that aren't on the road - and all 3 have fluted lenses...

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    and all 3 have fluted lenses...
    They have lights for both with lexan lenses to provide crisp projector retro fits but each set of lights is like $200 and then another $200~$300 for projectors, I can just go buy an old BMW with projectors already in it for that price

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    Why would I preach retrofits to Ben when he knows all about retrofits and projectors.. Also why would I preach retrofitting a car he hates - or the other 2 that aren't on the road - and all 3 have fluted lenses...
    you know i was being sarcastic right LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    window tint on the front windows is more then 35% so that's illega
    OUCH, that's gonna hurt when i move up there (if i bring my red gp) it has i believe 5% tint... Same as my truck, it's near impossible to see inside unless your almost kissing the windows

Ben

OUCH, that's gonna hurt when i move up there (if i bring my red gp) it has i believe 5% tint... Same as my truck, it's near impossible to see inside unless your almost kissing the windows
    The window tint laws are like that for all of Canada. Windshield is not allowed to be tinted other then the top and it can only go as low as the rear view mirror, the front windows can only go so dark that the driver can be seen through them (Which is 35% at best) but if you get pulled over at night, you can easily just get someone to take a picture of you in the car in the day time so they can see that you are clearly visible behind the tint and you'll walk out of there, wallet in tacked. As for the rear windows you can have them as dark as you want, the reason behind this is because Panel Vans don't have any back windows, even on the rear doors some don't have windows so neither do other cars which is why the tint can be as dark as you want.

HOWEVER! With all of this being said, the optimal tint is 25% for rear and back doors, then 35% for front doors, and a black or blue gradient tint on the windshield to act as a mild sun visor which I find is extremely handy at times (I got blue done when I replaced the windshield).
    If you go darker then 25% in the rear then you are losing visibility looking out, not in, from 25% and greater(20%, 15%, 10%, and 5%) the outside will not appear any darker, it will only appear darker while looking out, the reasoning behind this is for Limos so the interior accent lighting isn't obstructed by the street lights and for aftermarket security reasons (You can actually get discounts on car insurance for window tint) This is because you are less likely to get broken into for two reasons, 1) You can't see anything valuable to seal from the car while walking by and 2) If you try to smash the glass the tint is going to act as a minor protective film making it harder to smash through slightly like a windshield.

It is also illegal to tint your headlights(which is fucking stupid) or tinting taillights, they need to be seen from a maximum distance of 150m(rear running lights), I haven't fully tested this yet but I would like to know what grade of tint is the maximum used on tail lights so I can legally tint mine on one of the mark twos. I don't think blacked out lights will suit the 2.Slow
    Last edited by Ben; 10-29-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    They have lights for both with lexan lenses to provide crisp projector retro fits but each set of lights is like $200 and then another $200~$300 for projectors, I can just go buy an old BMW with projectors already in it for that price
    Talk to me about projector pricing sir.. we'll crunch numbers. You know I can do way better than that

Ben

Well if all the planets align and the full moon is just right I MIGHT be looking at buying a 1993 Toyota Hilux Surf with the 2.4L TD 5-speed manual 4x4, then I would buy the sucessor 3.0L TD head for the 2.4L TD block and make it into a 2.8L TD because the 2.4L have an over heating issue where the head cracks and the 3.0L fixed this problem but when you combine the 3.0L head on the 2.4L block you have the optimal cooling of the two engines while still providing a 2.8L TD and getting slightly better fuel economy then the 3.0L

and if I can get my hands on one of those bad boys then I'm hiring you to do a retro fit and we can experiment with lexan sheets, vacuum press, old ovens, and mould making, so we can fab our own clear lenses
    Reason I picked the 1993 is because it has the newer style face lift which I like and it still uses the smaller 2.4L TD, in 1994 they gave it the 3.0L TD so the perfect model for my desire was only made for one year and I just happened to find one IN CANADA for $4,200 lol
    This being a related post to the 2.Slow as I would be getting rid of it along with my Helios to get this truck.

EDIT:We could also try vacuum forming a lexan lens for my bike and retro fit a bi-xenon projector in there
    Last edited by Ben; 10-29-2012 at 08:30 PM.

vacuum forming is a slut.. And you're looking into a JDM 4runner - yeah? The 7x6 housing is way, way easier to mess with than the 4runner lights.. I'd convert it to truck front and call it a day..

Ben

Yes, the JDM RHD "4runner" (Hilux Surf) simply because it has a diesel, and a god awful slow diesel at that, I think it's around 82 ponies in the stable.

Good luck getting insurance on a jdm surf, some legislation changed or something. Just ask g about his buddy's horror stories.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast