Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Problem?

BRENDANMROZ

Ignition Problem?

Im not sure whats wrong with my truck, seems like a simple problem. It usually starts fine but I havent started it in a couple weeks and today I went to start it and the key went into the slot but it wouldnt turn. I tried the obvious things like shaking the steering wheel and the truck was in park. it didnt help to rock it back and forth.. anyways I took the apart the covering on the steering column and busted a little tab off of the ignition by mistake and the key turned and the truck cranked but wouldnt start. also when I touch the tab to the ignition my "door ajar" beeper starts. I just dont see how it could be the ignition swith if it will turn over. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Re: Ignition Problem?

Turns over but wont run?

#1 Try boosting it with another car.

#2 Check your plugs and check for spark

#3 Check for fuel (check pump fuses ext)
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

you don't mention what kind of truck - but that tab on the ign switch is the "keysense" tab. Its what tells the vehicle the keys in the ign (and buzzer goes if door opened, etc). If newer, keysense also plays into how the factory immobilizer works in many systems. What year/make/model is the truck? That info is critical...

looks like dude owns a ford f150..

BRENDANMROZ

Ya its a 2000 f150

Buddy des knows all about those immobilizers maybe he will chime in here.

BRENDANMROZ

So I attempted to boost it with no luck and the truck did have spark. I listened at the tank while a friend turned the key and I heard the fuel pump go but it didn't sound right, kinda just started and shut down right away and sounded weak. So I got him to turn it over a bit and I pressed the bleeder on the fuel rail. It didn't seem to have any pressure, a little bit of fuel just dripped out. Does this mean I have to replace the fuel pump?

Should check fuel pressure with a gauge before throwing parts at it

- - - Updated - - -

Should have a good amount of pressure at that bleeder tho

BRENDANMROZ

I've left this problem alone for awhile, but finally went and got a new fuel pump and replaced the tank as it had a hole by the strap. so I was going to get it running today but lost my key... Ive taken the ignition out before but it only slides out with the key in the on position, does anybody know how I can get the ignition to the on position without a key? I know I can use the door handle to get a new key made but I was hoping there was another way because I already bought a new switch and key

take the door handle to a lock smith and get a key, otherwise its going to be a royal pain in the ass to do lol

BRENDANMROZ

Ya I'm going to do that tomorrow now, the only reason for not doing that is my tumblers keep locking up which is why I got the new ignition but if I get the new key I could probably fiddle with it until the ignition turns.

odds are the chip key failed or your fuel inertia switch tripped. i know on rangers its on the passenger side on the floor or kick panel. very common for people to kick it by accident. if that isnt tripped then the chip key is likely damaged. it will be a PATS issue if the truck cranks but doesnt start. the system will disable injectors.

BRENDANMROZ

Thanks, I'll see what happens today after I get a key made. but I wonder if it will even work since mine is a chip key... Ive had a key made using the door handle of a 2001 dodge before and it worked but I dont know if that truck had a chip

if money is the issue - buy a blank on ebay (a/m version for PATS keys are very common). Go to the dealer and pay to have them cut the key based on the VIN and program to the vehicle. On Fords, you can program your own keys if you have TWO valid keys. If you have none, its dealer time (locksmiths will clone the key, requiring one working key)

bmoney

Unless that key you made is chipped and programmed it will not work. If you simply try to swap ignition cylinders it will not work. The cylinder and key must match the rf module, pats module, pcm and gem modules. Its designed very well from a security standpoint. Unfortunately its a huge pain in the ass to troubleshoot.

In the end, even if you have keys reprogrammed it may not work if a module is fried or theres a memory failure somewhere. Only ford has the software to diagnose the pats system as far as i know.
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 02-03-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast