Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition Problem?

Re: Ignition Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy_Des View Post
    Unless that key you made is chipped and programmed it will not work. If you simply try to swap ignition cylinders it will not work. The cylinder and key must match the rf module, pats module, pcm and gem modules. Its designed very well from a security standpoint. Unfortunately its a huge pain in the ass to troubleshoot.

In the end, even if you have keys reprogrammed it may not work if a module is fried or theres a memory failure somewhere. Only ford has the software to diagnose the pats system as far as i know.
    diagnosing the cause of a no start due to pats is simple...does it start and stop? security light blinking? pats issue. crank but no fire? security light blinking? pats issue. /what/ is causing the pats issue is the bugger to figure out. From a function perspective, there's very little to the Ford PATS system. Until 2010 there was no form of encryption on the RF side. A simple immobilizer challenge and present a "viable" (not even valid) code that falls within PATS parameter and it learns it as a key. Been doing it for years in the remote start world. The only real "safeguard" is that it will not accept to IDENTICAL keys for immobilizer challenge to learn. Must be two valid, unique keys. Then slots 3 and 4 open in the PATS module.

There typically is little that the pats system will do to cause you grief. Simply putting the key in the ignition and turning to run position will cause bulb check, then all the lights will go out. Security light stays on longer. Then goes out when validated. If not validated, security light blinks. Try that - my guess is its validating just fine and your problem is somewhere else.

fyi- there's surprisingly LITTLE to a factory rf based immobilizer system....no matter the brand.

BRENDANMROZ

I found my original key tucked under the mount on the bucket seat so the key is no longer an issue but it still wont start.. Haven't had much time to tinker with the truck lately and hate working in my yard in this snow, so next weekend I'm gunna haul it to my buddy's garage to work on.. Ill keep all of your advice in mind and keep you posted and how things are coming along. This forum is great, nice to get some advice from people who know what they're talking about.

BRENDANMROZ

I ended up finding out there was no power getting to the injectors, but I ended up trading the truck as-is for a 94 gmc. thanks again for your help

no power to injectors is the PATS controller cutting fuel delivery I'm convinced its an immobilizer problem.

BRENDANMROZ

I never bothered to get it going because after I got a good look at it, the truck was pretty rotten. good from far, far from good kinda thing.. lol. anyways another guy was using my buddy's garage to work on his new 02 super crew, and he wanted to buy parts off mine. I agreed to sell him what he needed but he ended up wanting so much off it that he just offered me his old truck he just took off the road. I was pretty impressed with it actually, has all new brake lines and exhausts, and the ebrake cable wasnt even siezed. I just finished putting new calipers, pads, lower balljoint and a fender in and all I have left is a windsheild. Its 2wd and kinda looks like an old mans truck but im happy with it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12