Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: 1978 Yamaha Enticer 340 Restoration

1978 Yamaha Enticer 340 Restoration

I've been trying to find a site with some really good prices on parts. Restoring a 78 Yamaha Enticer 340 twin. Mechanically the sled is perfect, starts on the first pull and the clutch engages great. I need suspension parts though... the skis are toast, shocks and springs are tired. Repainting the hood (got some championship white base clear and reproduction factory decals), replacing all the hardware (nuts and bolts), doing a track conversion so it can run a newer moar aggressive track. I'm also looking to put a new set of handlebars with new headlight switch,killswitch, etc as the covers are all gone and the switches stick.

Surprisingly the track sliders and bogeys are in great shape, the sled is completely original as is but its definitely been put to use.

- - - Updated - - -

A few pics
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 12-04-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Re: Rock Auto equivalent for sleds?

Royal Distributing? Thats all I ever used for powersport toys

Yea I had heard about them, I was going to make a call this week for the track conversion. I couldnt get into their catalog at work but their prices are about the same as anywhere else. Its always good to get more opinions, I refuse to buy things in Thunder Bay unless its the last resort. Thanks for the input!

Excalibur
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

im with cale.... as long as there is someone there that knows old sleds then i would go excalibur. there pretty good with keeping up to royals pricing.

Another good thing to know lol. If they can at least come close on the price (within 10%) I'm happy. But at the same time I'm almost positive that nothing will be in stock so I might as well wait anyway. I'll go talk to Excalibur tomorrow and see what their take is. I'm gonna finish prepping the hood tonight and I have a few parts that I'm gonna get to use my WD-40 rust soak on for the first time...so excited.

Handle bars are goin to have to be found used or nos.
    FUNCTION >FORM

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

Ok, the set thats on there is still fine. I was just thinking in terms of updates (and if replacement switches werent available).
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 12-02-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Moar progress, gas tank shroud repainted. Crazy what adhesion promoter does, the plastic was so dried out that it just sucked up the paint and took 4 coats to cover. The hood was a bit challenging, there were a few good cracks in it but its fiberglass so I was able to grind it out and fill it with short hair. It seems to have worked well, i gave it a bit of a torture test before i went ahead to paint by flexing it and it held fine. Like I said before, championship white and a whole lot of clear coat. It really is the nicest white i've ever seen and i dont really like white lol. Picked up all new hardware bumper to bumper (I cant put rusted old machine screws back onto it).

Just waiting for the new skis, springs and shocks to come in!

Having a hard time deciding what to do with the hood vents, the headlight shroud is black so I dont know if I should go black on the vents or white. The "340" and racing stripes are red, yamaha and "twin" logos are black....hmmm
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 12-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Re: 1978 Yamaha Enticer 340 Restoration

Havent update in a while because life happened... turns out a guy can become a financial planner in about 8 weeks lol. More to follow on that but if anybody isnt happy with their finances or they're looking to get ahead then feel free to contact me on here or my cell (626-3381). I'm at Investors Group so I've got access to anything you can think of.

With that out of the way, back to the sled. Its basically finished now minus the decals. I decided to go red on the vents (that was the stock colour scheme) and I'm pretty happy with the results. Aside from the dings on the aluminum body up front it looks great.

I also have a demonstration of WD-40 rust soak (not available in canada yet from what i've been able to find). What an amazing product, beats the hell out of sandblasting and grinding!

You can also see how bagged the springs were. I was able to remove the rear springs with one hand, there was hardly any tension left in them. It sits much higher now and the suspension actually rebounds if you flex it lol.

Also to note, Excalibur was brutal to deal with. North Country was much better but I guess they're a little more into Yamaha because they're the dealer for the city.
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 12-26-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Cool build! Neat to see life brought back into this machine!

Yay vintage !! I'm not the only one with the bug
    FUNCTION >FORM