Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: vinyl wrap paint job = awesome

vinyl wrap paint job = awesome

Ive always thought if this was possible and how awesome it would be and it is..

Last edited by MarcGSR; 03-10-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added video BB code

Re: vinyl wrap paint job = awesome

Its a cool idea but would be a long term fail, not to mention that GTR looks like garbage after they did it. You can see its clearly got some over the paint.. It would start to peel and bubble to, and every stone chip would look brutal. It cant be cheap either I know just a few large decals can be pricy. The door decals I removed from my car are $200 a side and they were about 40x40 inches. Better off with a cheap one stage paint job.

No kidding. It would probably run you close to what a standard paint job is. It's neat and I can see it come in handy if your car attends a lot of shows, need to change your colour scheme quickly/temporarily, and you take it off relatively soon.

Doesn't look bad for shows and such. Seen a guy on Honda-tech vinyal wrapped carbon fiber to fenders hood etc on his eg and didn't look bad. Wasn't overdone to the extent of the full car.

They had a STI at the auto show done in vinyl and it looked sick

I like this idea. Wonder what it costs
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

It all depends on what materials you get and if you do it yourself or pay a shop. The labour seems to be the majority of the cost but usually you can get it guaranteed for 5-10 years. From what I've read it will usually be between $1500-3000 to get a shop to do it but that is usually in a bigger city. I've heard of people doing it themselves for less than $200 for the material cost and it usually takes them 2-3 days or a week to do the whole car with a helper (depends experience and the car). It's also a good thing if you get bored and like to change colours often and will protect your paint and help maintain the resale value if choose to go with a colour other than the original.
    Last edited by Nabs; 03-13-2012 at 12:47 PM.

I'm curious how hard it is to get off after a couple years and if it would leave any residue.

I've read that with 3M vinyls it may leave some residue and if there is any it can be easily removed with specific cleaners. As for removal, it's supposed to come off easily if you heat it, assuming its before the end of ~5 year lifespan.
    Last edited by Nabs; 03-13-2012 at 03:51 PM.

To do an entire vehicle in 3M vinyl wrap is going to cost you about 500 bucks or a little less for a sedan style car in material..Not bad if you ask me, if you want to go to a shop it's def going to be labour that'll eat you alive...mind you, if you can find someone who knows what they are doing..it's worth it!!..this stuff is sticky
    Nobody in town knows how to do this stuff from a shop though on this scale..or at least they've never done it before.

I'll be working with it next weekend..see how that turns out I've been doing a lot of research and specifically talking to people who work on my type of vehicle ..so it's not THAT bad..apparently the key word phrase is" your going to need PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!!.."

It's not that difficult to get off either..
    Last edited by Kattty; 08-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.

The guy I share shop space does this kind of thing. To do my car is between $5000 and $6000. That's not a typo. He does a very good job. He pulls all the trim and wraps it under. Does in the door jambs too. A good paint job around here will run you over $10,000 easily. When the 3m comes off, it's clean.

You can find a quality paint job around that price range if you don't 'know someone'. Regarding leaving residue after removal, if you use the 3m primer spray that comes with the vinyl kit then your in for a treat! Expect spending an entire day trying to get it off using rubbing alcohol. Even then you won't get it /all/ off. I'm not sure how the pros do it. I would imagine they skip the primer and use a water and soap solution to allow the vinyl to slide around a bit during the application.

I can understand the price tag now. The majority of what you are paying for..at least 85% isn't material..it's PATIENCE,TIME AND EXPERIENCE!
    The $500 dollar price was just for material and personal install..that doesn't include shop fee's,labour, ect...to do an entire car..cost me less than 150 with a kit and material to do my roof.

This stuff is awsome..I learnt a lot on my first attempt..and a lot of DO NOT's.

I wouldn't recommend that 3m primer stuff the 3m vinyl comes with to anyone..unless you 100% feel comfortable with the material..this stuff is a HUGE,and I mean HUGE pain to remove..
    Last edited by Kattty; 08-28-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Auto trenz did my sisters car. It wasn't crazy over priced. Not sure if they do it any more or if that place is even open. But more than likely that guy still lives here

Why did the individual we deal with say they've never done it when I went to talk to them then CURTIS lol..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast