electrical problems
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: electrical problems

electrical problems

I scaned my car and no codes come up but when I down shift and rev my.car my abs light and e brake light come on but when I'm driving these lights go away. Also once my car starts moving my subs kick out only time my subs are on is when the car is parked and when I rev it it cuts out right away. My only guess is electrical interference I repkaced the battery to see if that helps but same thing happens. Anyone know what the problem could be ?

Re: electrical problems

Quote Originally Posted by clayton-magnet View Post
    I scaned my car and no codes come up but when I down shift and rev my.car my abs light and e brake light come on but when I'm driving these lights go away. Also once my car starts moving my subs kick out only time my subs are on is when the car is parked and when I rev it it cuts out right away. My only guess is electrical interference I repkaced the battery to see if that helps but same thing happens. Anyone know what the problem could be ?
    I'm 90% sure it's your alternator not producing enough juice , get it tested.

I tested that too its fine

How did you test it? Unloaded, that little alternator at idle should be producing 14+ volts. Then load it down - turn the heat on, high beams, etc. If the alt is gonna shit the bed, its voltage output will drop right off and you know you've got your culprit. If it holds at high 13 volts, its ok. The sound system is a whole other animal - you'll have to test. Is the amp cycling into protection? Or just shutting off? If protection, why? (over/under voltage, short protection, etc). Try throwing a "test mule" in the trunk and run new speaker wire for it...stay running? Or still protect? If its just shutting off - test why....it MUST be losing one of the important three - power, ground or remote signal. Diagnosing the sound system should be very straight forward.....

The abs and brake lights - that's an interesting one - I'm sure there's a few Honda nuts around here who have the answer to what is likely a common Honda problem in that gen of car (assuming its a civic).

Ive got the same issue with the abs and e-brake light coming on. I am assuming its just a loose wire behind the dash but have also heard of power feeding back through the deck and into one of hte wires you tapped into for power.

I'm not sure if this is the same with civics or if it has anything to do with it but when my alternator was pooched in my 240 my battery light and ebrake light would stay on always. Seems like a similar situation to me. I also read that it could be your abs modulator which is apparently around 5-700 ouch.. But that doesn't explain the subs cutting out. I'd definitely do a better test on your alternator. Don't forget to check the c4 regulator valve along with the flux capacitor those and sure mess things up when they go.

I always thought the ABS + ebrake light were an alternator / charging problem combination. At least that's what I saw when my alternator caught on fire in the 'teg..

Ben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpG8uQHCDQk
    Seems easy enough, I'm going to go test mine too, can't hurt

I also has a similar problem with my 89 Jetta dying all the time and the stereo kicking in and out and it was the power lead from the alternator that was just slightly lose so it was flopping around, toghtened that up and it worked fine. I guess it was just the vibration from the engine that was causing it to come lose but when I had the car off it made a perfect conection to keep the stereo running but as soon as I started that little guy up the stereo started turning on and off and the subwoofer would let out a big loud ground loop thump.. Youth wiring jobs, good times.

Anyways, check to make sure all of the alternator to battery conections are secure and that nothing from engine vibration could be wrong, the ground cable from the battery is also another good place to check for a solid conection as well as the ground for your amp.

Best of luck
    Last edited by Ben; 03-27-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Bad grounds on a 12v system can cause some weird shit to happen. I'd start with checking those especially the main engine ones.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

found the problem alternator regulater is gone which is over charging everything first time this happened to me

Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    Or just shutting off? If protection, why? (over/under voltage, short protection, etc).
    bingo