Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 20Specv12's 2012 Nissan SER Spec V

Re: 20Specv12's 2012 Nissan SER Spec V

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    How long did it take to remove the stock manifold and put in the headers approximately?

I'd be slightly wary of a short ram intake unless it had a heat shield. I've seen a lot of people with M3's lose power due to heat soak with those, although you will get a more aggressive induction sound.
    Removing the alternator and the bolts from the heat shield to getting all the sensors removed and un-bolting the header and the mid-pipe it literally took us 3-4 hours (no joke). Like I said this was the most time-consuming PITA mod I've done so far (hence why I'm starting to hate imports... you need tiny Japanese hands to work on them).

The K&N SRI has a heat shield on it, and I know many other Sentras running with it no problem. I was gonna go for the Injen CAI but it's more time consuming installing and cleaning the filter (must remove the front bumper to install intake and access the filter). Plus the gains in HP isn't that much different from the two (1-2 HP), so I decided with the easiest install and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldon View Post
    Sometimes O2 sensors are tack welded from the factory
    The two bottom sensors came off fairly easy, but the top two were so seized that it felt like it was welded in there. I checked with the other guys at the Sentra forum and they said that they've also had issues removing the top two, in which some cases they had to replace them due to stripped threads.
    "That is one quick Prius!"

So for my birthday this year my fiancee got me this:

She also got me an orbital sander for polishing/waxing the two vehicles we have. Can't wait to install the short shifter and detail the Spec! It's a good day so far being 30 LOL

Got my wedding present today: C-Mod grille
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954721.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	1919
    Going to replace stock grille sometime this week and order my 18" high-flow resonator and 3" inlet/outlet Magnaflow muffler.

Good updates, and not having that check engine light blaring at you is a stress relief lol. Your girlfriend is good a picking gifts, that short shifter is going to complement your weighted shift knob purrrfect bro. Just a note on the resonator.. adding any restriction (noise reduction) to your exhaust will cause you to lose some power. I'm not sure how much it will affect an unboosted car, but it will/could counter the gains you got from reducing restrictions by using a better flowing manifold and larger exhaust. On a side note.. I sourced that front bumper on the yellow RX7 on initial D. Only took 6-8 months but I finally found one and its on its way from Japan! Super rare and really unique.. this way I can switch between both mazdaspeed bumpers lol.
    Last edited by TougeSpirit; 06-17-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TougeSpirit View Post
    Good updates, and not having that check engine light blaring at you is a stress relief lol. Your girlfriend is good a picking gifts, that short shifter is going to complement your weighted shift knob purrrfect bro. Just a note on the resonator.. adding any restriction (noise reduction) to your exhaust will cause you to lose some power. I'm not sure how much it will affect an unboosted car, but it will/could counter the gains you got from reducing restrictions by using a better flowing manifold and larger exhaust.
    Actually the CEL came on after a couple of days but it's no biggie (it was just a code telling me the cat is not working... d'uh lol). I really just want to quiet the exhaust I have right now as the car is extremely loud without the silencer and annoying with it. The set-up right now is 3" so for a N/A it is big but there is another Spec V owner that dyno'd his car comparing a 2.5" to 3" and the sheet proved that we get more hp with the 3", so I'll stick with it until I get funds to install a turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by TougeSpirit View Post
    On a side note.. I sourced that front bumper on the yellow RX7 on initial D. Only took 6-8 months but I finally found one and its on its way from Japan! Super rare and really unique.. this way I can switch between both mazdaspeed bumpers lol.
    Nice. Too bad your car isn't yellow so it'll look like Takahashi Ryosuke's. Initial D FTW! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 20Specv12 View Post
    Actually the CEL came on after a couple of days but it's no biggie (it was just a code telling me the cat is not working... d'uh lol). I really just want to quiet the exhaust I have right now as the car is extremely loud without the silencer and annoying with it. The set-up right now is 3" so for a N/A it is big but there is another Spec V owner that dyno'd his car comparing a 2.5" to 3" and the sheet proved that we get more hp with the 3", so I'll stick with it until I get funds to install a turbo.

Nice. Too bad your car isn't yellow so it'll look like Takahashi Ryosuke's. Initial D FTW! LOL
    Count me in for the turbo install, just be prepared to upgrade your clutch, run a boost controller, an aftermarket ecu, getting a tune and dyno time, possible fuel pump and injector upgrades, intercooler, new plugs, gauges, and all the other odds and ends that nickle and dime you haha. The yellow would be too over the top for me, but with the bumper and its massive fog lights I can at least pretend I'm racing down Mount Akina at 3:30 AM hahha. A white FC would be the way to go though

There is a Treadstone turbo kit for the 07-up Spec V that comes with everything (440cc injectors, HKS BOV, intercooler, Uprev tune via mail, etc.) for around $4500 USD. I'll need to upgrade to bigger injectors and if I talk to them personally they'll do it for free. With 10-11 psi I should be getting approximately 320whp and that's with a conservative tune. Just need to save up some cash.

What size is the turbo in the kit? 320whp is going to take some doing on our piss-ass 91.
    Last edited by MiniD1CK5; 06-18-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Haha "piss-ass"

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    What size is the turbo in the kit? 320whp is going to take some doing on our piss-ass 91.
    As per the website, the kit comes with:
    Components List:
    Turbonetics T3/T4 50 trim F1-57 .63, ball bearing upgrade available $350 extra
    Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate
    Treadstone 347 Stainless Steel Cast Turbo Manifold
    Treadstone TR8 Intercooler with brackets
    Treadstone Black Powder Coated Stealth Aluminum Pipe Kit
    Treadstone Silicone and T-bolts Clamp kit
    Treadstone 304 Stainless Steel Downpipe (removes both cats)
    Treadstone Oil Kit
    HKS Blow off Valve
    Treadstone Air Filter
    Upgraded 440cc Fuel injectors(drop in)
    Upgraded Spark Plugs
    Vacuum line, Hardware, Gaskets
    Treadstone ECU Bracket
    Titanium Heat Wrap
    Battery Relocation Kit

Oh and the price is only $4240 with the ball bearing turbo (which I prefer better than the journal bearing).

Yes but what hes getting at is that the pump gas here is really unpredictable. 320hp at the wheels is a pretty tall order for a bolt on kit. You're looking at well over 50% increase in output over stock, its just not realistic. The kit will definitely wake the car up but if this is something you need to rely on day in, day out then dont have high expectations. Even if you saw 250 at the wheels it would make for an interesting drive but then you have to ask yourself if $4200 is worth it. I would almost reccommend putting together your own setup, the only part that really makes a "kit" is the manifold. Everything else can be done with Truck & Diesel and some imagination, many of the cars on here are great examples of that.

I'm also not seeing any sort of tuning software on that list, just a relocation bracket. No clue what guys run for tuning on Sentras but most likely a few hundred more dollars to spend. Not trying to discourage you in any way, I'd like to see a boosted sentra its not common especially around here.
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 06-18-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy_Des View Post
    Yes but what hes getting at is that the pump gas here is really unpredictable. 320hp at the wheels is a pretty tall order for a bolt on kit. You're looking at well over 50% increase in output over stock, its just not realistic. The kit will definitely wake the car up but if this is something you need to rely on day in, day out then dont have high expectations. Even if you saw 250 at the wheels it would make for an interesting drive but then you have to ask yourself if $4200 is worth it. I would almost reccommend putting together your own setup, the only part that really makes a "kit" is the manifold. Everything else can be done with Truck & Diesel and some imagination, many of the cars on here are great examples of that.

I'm also not seeing any sort of tuning software on that list, just a relocation bracket. No clue what guys run for tuning on Sentras but most likely a few hundred more dollars to spend. Not trying to discourage you in any way, I'd like to see a boosted sentra its not common especially around here.
    http://www.allsentra.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2816

The only thing he changed with this build is that he upgraded to a 600cc, and he's still on stock clutch and flywheel (he's informed me that he will need to replace that soon). There are only a handful of other Sentras out there with custom made turbo's, but with the kit it's just like you said, straight bolt-on so it's actually cheaper in the long run. The Treadstone turbo kit comes with a mail-in tune and it's only a baseline and to get anything over 300whp I'll need to get it re-tuned at a shop (was thinking of 2J Racing in the states as they have the most experience tuning Spec V's).

I'm well aware of the decrease in reliability when you boost a stock car, so I will be getting another car as my daily driver before I boost the Spec V. I've done so much research on this platform that my wife says that it's close to an obsession lol

- - - Updated - - -

finally installed the C-Mod grille. I like it better than the stock grille:

At first I thought the grille would look pretty bad as I'm not a fan of that type of grille. But ended up looking pretty good man! Keep up the mods, look forward to seeing your ride out there.

Goin' for a bit of a storm trooper look huh?

mmmmmmmmmm.. blacked out..

Well if and when you do plan to boost it, I'm sure you'll be fine and so will the car as long as you put the research in. And there are many ways to add reliance to a boosted car it just depends on how much extra you are willing to spend to protect your initial investment of the kit itself (Water injection/ 50-50/ ignition upgrade to prevent deto/Ecu with fail-safes etc). It's when you start to advance the timing for maximum horsepower once a "goal" boost level has been acheived that will mostly increase the chance of detonating based on IAT's, fuel quality and of course driving characteristics. IMO get a safe tune on 91 preferably in a cooler time of year with safe/slightly retarded timing vs optimal and you should be okay as long as you monitor your afr's and get a good idea of what they usually are while boosting. Oh and use a boost controller to make minor adjustments as temps fluctuate if need be. Anyways :p

Good choice on the grille change! I like where this car is going, what are your next plans lol

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast