Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 20Specv12's 2012 Nissan SER Spec V

Re: 20Specv12's 2012 Nissan SER Spec V

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    Goin' for a bit of a storm trooper look huh?

mmmmmmmmmm.. blacked out..
    That took longer than I expected. You're slipping Kevin
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

I'd call that progress Cale.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

I guess it could be called that.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiotica View Post
    At first I thought the grille would look pretty bad as I'm not a fan of that type of grille. But ended up looking pretty good man! Keep up the mods, look forward to seeing your ride out there.
    Thanks man. I was skeptical with the grille myself but it does make the front end look better, just need a lip to go with it (either going with Stillen or Racing Solution. There's a red Spec V here in town with the RS lip and it doesn't look bad)

Goin' for a bit of a storm trooper look huh?

mmmmmmmmmm.. blacked out..
    Funny that you mention the retrofit. That's probably the next thing I'll do to the car cosmetic wise. The retrofit source has the Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III kit (H1) that I've been eyeing for a long time. I just need to go to the local junk yard and see if I can find a pair of headlights that I can use as I don't want to wreck the stock ones trying to do the retrofit myself. Also there's a guy selling his headlights that looks exactly like the picture you posted for $450 (seriously thinking about picking that up too instead of doing the work myself).

Quote Originally Posted by TougeSpirit View Post
    Well if and when you do plan to boost it, I'm sure you'll be fine and so will the car as long as you put the research in. And there are many ways to add reliance to a boosted car it just depends on how much extra you are willing to spend to protect your initial investment of the kit itself (Water injection/ 50-50/ ignition upgrade to prevent deto/Ecu with fail-safes etc). It's when you start to advance the timing for maximum horsepower once a "goal" boost level has been acheived that will mostly increase the chance of detonating based on IAT's, fuel quality and of course driving characteristics. IMO get a safe tune on 91 preferably in a cooler time of year with safe/slightly retarded timing vs optimal and you should be okay as long as you monitor your afr's and get a good idea of what they usually are while boosting. Oh and use a boost controller to make minor adjustments as temps fluctuate if need be. Anyways :p

Good choice on the grille change! I like where this car is going, what are your next plans lol
    Thanks man. With the Uprev tune I can have up to four maps and all I need is to switch through them using the cruise control buttons. I'll have one map for a conservative tune, one for full on racing, one for valet, and another one for normal driving.
    Next plan for the car right now is to get the SRI that my wife owes me from our past bet that I won, then after that just cosmetic stuff here and there (no rice lol) and finally get my exhaust to sound better and not ricey. I'm waiting for the Magnaflow muffler I ordered yesterday and when it gets here I'll get my dad-in-law to weld it for me. If that works then I might not need another resonator.
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Regarding the retrofit, I have a tester MH1 v6 as well as a tester FXR v3 with the 3" lens - if you want to find 1 spare headlight, even damaged, I can give you a hand deciding what to go with re: product wise. Mini's are easy, but that housing looks a perfect shroud will need some experimenting.. Drop me a PM if you want to know a little more about your options and how I can help ya.

Regarding the retrofit, I have a tester MH1 v6 as well as a tester FXR v3 with the 3" lens - if you want to find 1 spare headlight, even damaged, I can give you a hand deciding what to go with re: product wise. Mini's are easy, but that housing looks a perfect shroud will need some experimenting.. Drop me a PM if you want to know a little more about your options and how I can help ya.
    Will do for sure once I get a pair of headlights to play around with, thanks.

Got a bunch of parcels from Rydens earlier today:

MY wife bought me this K&N Short Ram Intake (thank you to my awesome wife who has spent more money on my car than I have). Will be installing this baby tomorrow:

Plus the Magnaflow muffler. I didn't think it was that big (that's what she said...). 24" length canister type with a 3" inlet/outlet. This should quiet down my 3" exhaust set-up significantly (I hope). Will be welding this tomorrow as well. I'm going to be busy

I'd be interested in hearing this thing, the 3" you have on there now is brutal loud - you've passed me a few times.. Do you have the option to put a silencer in the tip? I've got a feeling the muffler you just picked up will still be really obnoxious..

I'd be interested in hearing this thing, the 3" you have on there now is brutal loud - you've passed me a few times.. Do you have the option to put a silencer in the tip? I've got a feeling the muffler you just picked up will still be really obnoxious..
    Yeah I know my current setup is really really obnoxiously loud and fart-can sounding, and I always have the silencer tip. Without it the damn thing is SUPER LOUD. If this doesn't quiet it down I will try to weld another resonator in it. If that fails, I will re-install my OEM cat-back and wait until I turbo the car then I will re-install the 3". It seems this car is a trial and error project

I hear you man, the smallest things make the biggest difference in exhausts when you're naturally aspirated - like having a slightly short exhaust suuuuuuuucks.. Turn downs help, resonators etc... It's nuts.

mmmmm... more parts

Daily Driven, Slammed 99' Honda Civic SiR (EM1)
    "You get what you pay for."

Check out my Flickr Photostream

Everyone knows the concept of trial and error, and my little experiment with the muffler swap didn't go according to plan. She is a little bit more quieter during idle, unfortunately the rasp has increased significantly under WOT and I can only drive her around 2300rpm. Anything higher and she starts sounding like a tin can trying to explode. So, will be swapping my stock exhaust back until I can figure out what other brand I can try. I will for sure go with 2.5" pipping this time with probably no smaller than a 22" resonator to get rid of the rasp associated with running a cat-less set-up. FML.

On a small N/A motor like that, 2.25" would be lots - with a resonator and a decent muffler. A cat will keep it quieter as well.. Realistically the stock exhaust is probably plenty for that motor and you wont see much bigger gains out of larger piping until you start doing way more motor work.

I agree. I'm looking in the BRM cat-back. Stainless steel with 22" resonator and a Magnaflow muffler. I'll rock the stock ones (2.25") for now until I turbo it in a few years.

So the muffler swap didn't go according to plan. Tons of rasp and it sounded like total shit, so out goes the 3" and in goes the stock OEM cat-back. I didn't take a picture of the entire process as I was getting dizzy from working underneath the car while it's on jackstands (plus those Kartboy Polyurethane hangers were a bitch to remove). I did manage to get this one:

and here's the old 3" mangled mess:

Now the car is a lot quieter and doesn't give me a headache. I will get the BRM exhaust eventually, but for now I'll stick with this one.

And I also installed the K&N Short Ram Intake (finally). Sounds better than stock for sure.
    Here's what the engine bay looked like before:

When the stock intake was taken out:

The K&N Intake:

And what the engine bay looks now:

Finally stickers that adds +50HP each:

and the most important one of them all:

And here's a sound clip my current set-up: Megan header, M2 Downpipe, stock cat-back exhaust, K&N SRI:

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast