Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Bmoney / Tb - I need your opinion!

Bmoney / Tb - I need your opinion!

I'll try to keep this fairly simple;

My cousin has a pioneer DEH-80PRS, (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13080PR...T#overview-tab Built in 14w RMS amp or something) .. generally a mid grade deck. He is going to run two front 6 1/2 speakers and ditch the rears due to the cabin size being tiny. He is opting to go with two Alpine Type R's (http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/spr-60), a 8-10" sub again due to size and aiming for sound quality over loudness while keeping it fairly simple. Due to the speakers rms range (2-100w) would he be better off just running a 1 channel amp to a sub and using the decks built in amp for the speakers, or would disabling the built in amp and running a 4 channel bridged be the better option? He's just looking to get a bit more bump which the type-r's should deliver with lots of headroom in max peak power. It would be nice to keep the amp/sub alpine or pioneer as well. Thanks.

I'm not huge into car audio and I only know the basics and we're looking to keep it fairly simple as external gauges, boost controllers etc all have wiring that draws power as well. Any help and recommendations would be much appreciated.

Re: Bmoney / Tb - I need your opinion!

Drunk Andrew always recommends ditching the headunit amplifier.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

a 2 channel for the speakers, 1 channel for the sub, run 1 sub and call it a day. I'll get corrected if Brian actually comes here but that's what I would do (and have done numerous times).

in no way shape or form is deck power ever going to suffice if amp power is available. Never Run as big a 4 channel as you can - bridge the rears to a single sub. Run the fronts in stereo. Cross the fronts over as low as you can.

When speaking about engines, a very desirable trait is torque right? If two engines had similar horsepower, but one had measurably more torque, its the preferred choice. Amplifier power is no different - there /is/ such thing as electrical torque. Puttinig 50-80 clean, rms watts on a quality speaker will wake it right up. They'll do things that 15-20 wrms of deck power will never get them to do. They'll sound much bigger, brighter, stronger...not just "louder". Power is your friend

bmoney

awesome thanks, I sent him a copy of your post and that's what he is going to do.