Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Anyone ever co-pilot street tuning?

Anyone ever co-pilot street tuning?

Hey everyone,

Things are still progressing okay with the 7 lately, just the normal minor set backs like wait times and back orders lol. This has limited me in putting any more time into tuning as I'd rather be certain that my ignition, sensors etc are all in top condition and performing at their peak before I start to pull logs and make any more adjustments. I decided to keep the car twin turbo for a little while longer as well and focus learning and tuning the engine while its (somewhat ) close enough to stock form for me get a good idea what its "normal" parameters were, and work my way up from there taking note of how and what changed as I made changes in the engine bay. My ecu is old school yet the most proven, it comes with no fancy fail safe controls like ignition retarding based on knock or being able to recognize over boost. Its simple. And old. But it records logs every time I tell it to and dump out all the information needed to make adjustments. And it lets me plug my laptop in and monitor in real time, its got a laptop so it has to be fast right?

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever gotten the interest and/or put the time into learning even the basics of EFI tuning. Its slightly different for my car due to the way its engine works (lower target afr's, both a leading and a trailing ignition data value etc) but it would be beneficial having someone to keep an eye on gauges and "operate" the laptop as its not safe and too hard to do while trying to keep constant rpm loads etc. I'd take care of changing any values, working out data in the excel sheets etc. but it would be nice to throw ideas back and forth with anyone that has gotten to dig into this stuff before as well.

Re: Anyone ever co-pilot street tuning?

Yup

^^ This is ur guy
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Yup he is, I booked my tune with him in the next few days!

Awesome, that's good to hear that there is at least one other person around here that has attempted to do the same as me. Which ems' are you familiar with Curtis?

What do you mean attempted? LOL!!

Lol attempted as in took the initiative to understand the mass amount of EFI terminology and concepts. I'm lucky in that everything regarding my car is so well documented and openly shared.

Well there are several people on here who understand and know how to use their stand alones quite well, just not everyone is into street tuning.
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

I'm comfortable with the different tuning programs.(I can learn yours) They all achive the same goal, sure they might mave different means of changing parameters but none the less your still trying to control the same things. Anyone can read up on what AFR and timing is desired for best power for your car...thats the easy parts. The setting up of the speed density tables or MAF signals and making the motor do what the computer is telling it to do is where stuff can get tricky, but like i said there all similar programs. I just hope it doesn't use the 3d maps like cobb, fuck those take some time to learn...and set up.

lol nope, no 3D maps just the standard 20x20 cells for injector correction, base map, ign leading/trailing timing and the various tps, injector size/lag, and various engine control settings etc. I'm working at learning the in's and outs of my power fc with an attached datalogit box and working at increasing fuel up top as I'm running a massive street port (internal engine porting, not throttle body etc) that allows more breath-ability ie needs more fuel else it will certainly run lean and it now draws less vacuum at idle making it quite rich. I worked out my cold start and idle, throttle tip in is pretty seamless but my hot start is rich and next on the list. I just started increasing fuel as I eased into boost until I decided to wait until I replace my wideband sensors as I have no idea how old they may be. The tolerance for running lean on a rotary is much lower than a piston engine and I'm taking it safe as my block was rebuilt with .. well it was built to handle a 9k rpm redline with ease and I'll leave it at that due to the internals being much different and probably unknown by most here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18344-anybody-have-any-idea-how-many-experimental-aircraft-using-rotary-engines-rotary-engine_an.gif 
Views:	78 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	2010
    Last edited by TougeSpirit; 07-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Sweet, I wouldn't mind helping if I was in town but Conway is your man.
    Neema

9.75 @ 143.41 MPH

923 hp 735 ft/lbs

In-Car Video Link

conway is the man. no one else is crazy enough to do 20 plus 200kmh highway runs

I won't be attempting to squeeze every last bit of timing out of the block or anything, just establishing a safe tune and getting used to working with my current setup. My new wheels are on their way as of this afternoon which holds back taking the trip to minni for a pre-tune that probably won't net much more than what I am hoping to achieve anyways since my twins are on their way out. Well that is until the single and vmount go back in and AI is introduced.

Thanks for the direction everyone, and you as well neeman - I'm sure your help would be beneficial after seeing the detail you put into your build.

Crazy spinning Doritos lol. One day mine will be done lmao. Can't wait to see yours!

Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    Crazy spinning Doritos lol. One day mine will be done lmao. Can't wait to see yours!
    Spinning dorito's are where its at, 1.3L of screaming rotary power. I know what you mean when you say it will be done one day, the to-do list gets 2 new things added for each thing you check off lol.