Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Subwoofer Opinion

Subwoofer Opinion

Not the biggest or hardcore into car-audio,but i do like a good system.my old car had a single alpine type S 10', and it sounded pretty good,but iam looking for upgrade with my new winter ride. is it worth having duel 12's? or would it be better to go with single 12'? are single 15' worth it either? looking to spend under 500-800$ for sub/amp hopfully. Thanks for any help

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

Re: Subwoofer Opinion

It really is dependant on what you want out of the system. do you want it to be bass heavy, or something that has a great full sound at any volume? A single sub in a proper enclosure can outperform and sound far better than multiple (or bigger) subs in an improper enclosure. For quality I would suggest a single 12, or even a single 10 in a properly tuned and built enclosure (not a store-bought prefab box). This tuned properly with the rest of your system will produce a nicely balance soundstage with just the right amount of low end. Unless you want bass to drown out everything in which case more cone area + more power in a very large ported box lol

My Car Log : 08 Subaru 2.5i

I think speakers is where you should spend your money. I got a 1200w sony amp for 40 bucks off kijiji 2 years ago and it still works perfect. Then I just got a 10' sony sub in a nice carpeted box for another 40 bucks. unless you are going in a competition or something it pounds harder than you'd ever need. The thing that makes my system actually sound good though is the fact that my speakers can keep up with having a sub. With your budget you could get a full set of infinity reference speakers and still have enough to scour kijiji for a deal on a sub and amp.

The general rule of thumb is to double your sound output you need either double the wattage OR double the surface area (ie. another sub). It's up to you and the music you listen to and how much trunk space your willing to give up.

Perfect, thanks for the insight!

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

I've got an 1800w visonik 918 amp and a RE XXX 15 I may be willing to part with.....400

^ I can vouche for that setup, it friggin POUNDS!