Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: 2004 SRT-4

Senior Member test

Re: 2004 SRT-4

cool setup mike. is there a threshold for force on the handle? doesn't look like it takes much
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

There's a tension screw build into the underside of the knob - I loosened it up real far for illustrative purposes. Also, it won't trigger unless the TPS is >80% in the future but for shits and giggles I thought I'd show everyone how it works.

It is NOT a strain gauge, just a pair of microswitches inside a sprung knob. Still class legal =)

Knob was about 300 bucks, and a decent strain gauge setup would be well over 1k.

Awesome upgrade, looks like a ton of fun!

Soon.

I'm so excited to see this out again, get crunching, only a few more weeks of fake spring left

#goodenough
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Shakedown complete. Transmission works, car makes power on moderate boost so she's good to go out and play on the 22nd. If I cared, and we had more time we could go for a big sexy number but why?

Of course the EMS-4 wasn't saving logs, so we were tuning off the dyno plots which stopped recording at a much lower rpm than we ran. Didn't do too bad a job with the fueling, but you can see she's swimming in the top end. As luck would have it, the goddamn thing saved a log on the last pull.

Here's what I mean:

I'll clean it up at the track. Even at 25-26psi there's still some power left on the table but I'm not going to spend a ton of time messing with the 25psi tables. Just needed to see if everything was (finally) working properly.

So it was ugly, but it's still the car's first 10. Couple blew off at about the 1000' mark, and then there were about 39 other problems that ultimately culminated in a broken axle for the 10.5 index final.

Fuel pump relay quit at the top of 4th gear, and I thought at the very least I burned up a head gasket. Alternator wire got ripped off. Oil filter got taken out by what we later decided was a piece of axle tripod bearing. VSS didn't work, forcing the two-step to stay engaged. I went three passes trying to break the habit of holding the car in gear, which triggers the shift cut now. Pushed water out of the second unnecessary rad cap. Covered the engine in oil from an overfull catch can. TPS read 100% --> 0% in a spastic way, for no reason at all.

You'd think these are all unrelated, but most of the problems stem from a bolt backing out on the lower front dog bone, causing the engine to twist... hard.

Day #1 I needed cage certification, and didn't get out on the track until about 2:00. Day 2 we spent the whole morning tracking down an oil leak that turned out to be the filter, which we hadn't figured out came from axle tripod shrapnel.

Apparently Brian's cage won't kill me. That's nice of him.

Need to figure out how to load this thing up after I lower it. As of now, it barely clears the trailer.

Going back out soon for a real, full test day.

Was killing me not to post that video! All in all we towed home a 10 second porpoise!
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Congrats on the 10 Mike!
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Awesome Mike!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Senior Member test

good stuff mike. what are your first impressions of the new faceplated setup? ignition cut worked well on the shift?
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

2-3 did not work well initially. In that video, you can see I clutched it manually for the shift just to get a pass under my belt.

I angled the knob and thought it worked better, but eventually I gave up and hooked the cut up to the top clutch switch.

I guess I'll keep going with this thread.

The car has been through 2 motors since the 10 second pass.

The first was likely caused by a few money shifts (1-2-1s), causing the cam follower and lash adjuster to launch out on an intake valve. #3 cylinder was was only operating with 1 intake valve, so the excess unplanned for air went into #4 and melted shit.

She ded. Whole motor except the oil pump was replaced, and the block was bored again to 0.040 over. Car still trapped 132mph using only 15 valves!

Other carnage included an ACT twin disc - completely fried, and even the tiny bolt that holds the dust cover on let loose the fuck up the flywheel.

So, in order to make fall Proving Grounds I needed...

Crank
    Rods
    Pistons
    Head
    Functioning Clutch
    Machining
    40 man hours

- - - Updated - - -

New shifter was ordered up, as well as modifications to the 5th gear lockout plate (that actually was more of a hinderance than a help). Later one I noticed the crossover shift cable was nuked, which was probably 90% of the problems. Didn't have time to install the new cables, but I brought them to the track.

Only 2 companies make 40 thou over shelf pistons, and only JE had them in stock. So I went with JE, which unfortunately didn't have a 200 wall pin. So I had the old Wiseco pins cut down.

Potentially fatal mistake #1, but I doubt it had any real affect on the outcome. Later I discovered they make a 230 wall pin, but the company failed to present it as an option. Thanks JE.

Crank was a brand new unit from Toronto I got for cheap.
    Rods were Eagle again from Facebook (NIB) for cheap (potential fatal mistake #2)
    Head was a brand new CnCPort.com piece that got for stuuupppiiddd cheap.
    +2/+1 valves were ordered, but they were Rev pieces instead of BC (100 bucks less)... but GUESS WHAT? Single valve keepers (original Neon-style) so there goes all the savings there.

Clutch was dead. I just needed it to last for one more weekend, so I got the flywheel resurfaced and decided that if nicks in the flywheel from that errant bolt were going to kill me then DEATH AWAITS. I ordered an off-menu item from ACT, which never sells the floater plates separately. 230 bucks for one more weekend - why the fuck not try it? Clutch is 1500usd, and I'm not going to buy another one now at the end of the season especially since this thing isn't suitable for drag racing. Road racing maybe, but... this is shit. The disc material breaks off in chunks, and the pressure plate saw a lot of heat. It's rated for 770ft/lbs. So is this bridge I wish to sell you.

Motor was assembled using the previous engine's Pankl rod bolts (potential fatal mistake #3 and most likely). No stretch gauge was used this time, and the since the crank was brand new and the motor was going together regardless of how anything measured out, plastigauge and a cheap Canadian Tire torque wrench were probably tied into this issue. Normally I borrow a 600 Snapon wrench, but... time.

Anywho, car was ready like the night before as usual.

Got to the track, kept the DOT tires on it as a way to go easy on the clutch and motor for a pass or two.

First pass went as planned. I clutch shifted it, made sure the boost control worked, changed the oil and checked it out. No chunks so yay! Data looked good, so I keep the baby tires on, add more boost and go back out.

Second pass - hit boost cut. Found one of the nylon lines melted and blew a huge leaky plastic zit. It was cool, but I lack pictures. Fueling was perfect, but I wanted one more pass on the motor before I changed the oil again. Kept the baby tires on and went back out.

Third pass - scattered the motor in the middle of shirt. No warning, no knocking or clunking. Just puked. Resisted the urge to sell the car and brought it home Saturday afternoon.

Brought it back to it's natural habitat.

- - - Updated - - -

Block had two windows in it.

Rod was scooped out of the oil pan.

I didn't even want to pull it apart, because I knew the head would be fucked.

Just needed confirmation:

Repairable.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm out of blocks. I'm out of cranks. The clutch is inadequate, and options that might work are expensive. The slicks are beyond their prime. The ECU is the most annoying thing to work with in the world. The switch-based shifter cut is a nightmare. The coldside is REALLY choking the motor at 600+hp.

On the bright side, the tranny looked mint when I took it apart again.

Whats the plan now? I hate to ask this but are you going to keep going with the porpoise or move on?
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast