Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 SRT-4

2004 SRT-4

While I'm waiting for my new E85 fuel level sender to come in, I thought I'd work on a build thread since I've pretty much lurked here all I could.

First, a little car background:

I'm partial to old school turbo Dodges and Neons - I've owned 2 turbo Dodge Daytonas, a black 1995 DOHC Sport Coupe Neon (big kid go-kart!), a 1998 DOHC Espresso, the black 2003 R/T, and now this. I lived in NB for a short while, so I didn't get to keep my Neons during the move(s) - a thing I regret. My ultimate dream was to have an Omni GLH but I've been forbidden from owning something that ugly.

Apparently I was such an awesome husband that my wife and her friend decided to drive to Winnipeg to buy me an SRT-4 (sight unseen, less shitty cell pics) for father's day a few years back. When I found out about this idea, I wasn't going to stop them although I was a little worried I'd get a pile of beat on snot to deal with when they got back.

I've wanted one since they came out, but when I was... 18 (math, bah!) the insurance was more than the payments so we ended up buying an '03 R/T which was pretty fun for what it was. The insurance on my SRT nowadays? 500 bucks a year. Much better.

Anywho, they ended up finding one about an hour out of Winnipeg that was recently inspected. The girls weren't much of car experts, so I walked them through a few basic things to check. There was a CEL for a misfire (I wasn't worried about that) but the tires were bulging with the cords showing, and she said she was pretty sure the rear struts were blown. Sold?

I made them buy new tires before they came back, but being in the middle of nowhere meant choices were limited. I ended up with the hardest set of Dunlops money could buy. It's like Tonka tire plastic, I shit you not. But they were safe.

Behold the pinnacle of Neon-ery!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	father's day present.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	2312

RR strut mount sounded like death, changed it.
    HIDs were removed. They actually almost caused a fire in the multifunction switch (also changed due to meltage).
    eBay intake had the bracket torn off, creating a hole. Welded it back on.
    eBay intake also did not have silicone couplers - they melted. Bought new ones from DC.
    Both sets of lower control arm bushings were gone, swapped them over to urethane.
    Boost solenoids were just dangling there so I ziptied them to the shitty intake.
    Cylinder 1 misfire - checked plug wire resistance - throw "racing" plug wires in the forest.
    Fixed 13,232 boost leaks. And then one more.
    One outer tie rod was shit, and one ball joint.

The clutch had one summer left in it. I had to drive it pretty easy by the end of the summer, but I was in the process of building a house (for the sole purpose of housing my Neon of course) and needed to get that dealt with first.

You bet your ass I changed the clutch the second the floor coating was dry in my garage.

Name:	clutch.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	2313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch fork.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	2314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tranny.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	320.4 KB 
ID:	2315

The fork was really the problem here. It was a modular clutch, and I didn't care enough to cut it apart to see how the disc looked but I bet it had more life in it. Swapped in an ACT-HDSS with their streetlight flywheel, new pivot ball, new clutch fork, etc... I was in a hurry to break it in before Terrace Bay, so it became the DD for most of the summer again. This clutch would hold slightly less than the bottom end, and I'm probably never touching it so it seemed like a good choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Then came the leashless suicidal dog. He decided to chase after a deer on River St, looked at me, looked at the deer, paused, then went for it. I stopped in like 5 feet but just ended up clipping his head.

He died.

I also heard the deer he was chasing jumped a chain link fence and was maimed. The lesson here is to LEASH YOUR FUCKING DOG. I wasn't too upset at the owner at first - I killed his dog and felt bad. If his dog was just a bit hurt it would've been a different story - I would've bitched until he coughed over some dough for a new bumper, but I figured the guy just suffered the loss of a pet, and my repair wasn't going to cost more than a few hundred bucks so I expressed my condolences and moved on. I felt bad for the guy.

Turns out my bumper cover is rare. Rare as fuck. Breeny's said they could find a used one; I laughed. I said every SRT-4 in a salvage yard has front end damage. They insisted they had one. They led me on for almost 2 months until I finally bought a new out of Florida for about 600 bucks that took forever to come. Lakehead wanted 1200 in town!

In hindsight I'm kind of fortunate I had a disposable bumper cover on when I went to Dragfest - I scraped the badboy on everything I could find, including the tow dolly quite badly.

Here's the swap of the bumper after I got my uncle to paint it.

Name:	IMG_20130921_145622.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	2316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130921_155405.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	2317

I couldn't put those blacked out fogs back in. One was damaged, and I sure as hell wasn't going to mess up a brand new one to make it match!

Name:	IMG_20130921_135258.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	2318

I also found more wiring issues involving the horn (you don't wanna know) and the remainder of the HID harness when I took it off.

- - - Updated - - -

By this point, the car didn't have much in the way mods. I had a tuner, a wideband, and an oversized intercooler. I suppose the ACT clutch counts too.

It's time to actually make some speed improvements.

First thing I did was install a 2-step (my 60' times SUUUCKEEED for slicks), with a WOT box (really cool). The WOT box cuts the ignition when you depress the clutch, allowing you to shift without blowing off. Best money I spent on this car.

I also need to address the fuel. I decided to go E85 because it's easy and there are a lot of canned parts and tunes available to make it work. Most people throw a return line in, and a 1:1 regulator, but since I'm never going built bottom end, my max power won't require a return line w/ 1025CC injectors.

I bought this pile of joy last week:

Name:	IMG_20131122_192939.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	2319

I'll be modifying my canister to make use of a Corvette FPR, installing a Walbro 255, and rewiring my fuel pump. I'll explain the process as I poke at it over the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

So when I bought the inTune, the first thing I did was take the laptop down the Expressway for a few pulls. I immediately hate Thunder Bay gas.

Name:	91.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	2320

This was before I touched anything, and was the very first log with my wideband. The knock starts at around 4k because it leaned out pretty bad (12.5), so I added fuel there (and beyyooonnd) noticing that my duty cycle is leaving me lots of room. Keep in mind the tune was written for 93.

A handy chart for these cars

Name:	0KJfR.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	2321

Hard limits the computer sets to avoid nuking your injectors.

After fuel was added, I ultimately had to pull timing in the upper RPMs (I wanna say 3-5 degrees). When I got it to a usable state my injector duty cycle was out of the comfort zone, but within a few percent of the maximum allowable values in some spots. Serious cars probably like to keep their duty cycle under 85% (depends on who you talk to) but since my motor was essentially all stock there weren't going to be any surprises. At the car's worst, it was at 93%. Scary, but meh at the same time.

Still, it turned out that was about as hard as I could play.

For Dragfest I was able to add a few degrees of timing back, but it was still slightly retarded running a bit of C16 with my piss gas.

Keeping all that in mind, my fuel system was the the next weak link.

Unfortunately, I parked the car with a quarter of a tank. The first step was to start a fire... or to empty the gas tank. Why not both, using my patented gas-bong method!

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMG_20131116_101608.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	2322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131116_101543.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	2323

15 minutes later and the deed was done.
    Last edited by squarebit; 03-09-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Re: 2004 SRT-4

what an intro! cool car, glad to hear youve sorted the bugs out so far

Thanks man! I enjoy the bugs, especially when they're cheap.

Tank dropped, can out.

Name:	IMG_20131116_115149 (1).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	2324

Name:	IMG_20131116_115202.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	2325

The reason for all this mess - eliminating an approximately 1/8" bottleneck in the fuel system. In short, I needed to enlarge my corn-hole.

Name:	IMG_20131116_154339.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	2326

Now the creative part begins!

Canister all dismantled, used a Dremel to cut the holes for the -6 bulk head fittings (with double stat-o-seals). Also had to chop a bit of the pivot dealie out to make room for the hose that was now directly clamped onto the 255.

Name:	IMG_20131122_213709.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	2327

- - - Updated - - -

Hose now directly on pump, but since I don't want the pump to move I cut a lenght of 3/4" PVC pipe to make sure it doesn't lift off the bottom of the canister.

Name:	IMG_20131123_110845.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	2328

I also needed to think a bit about how to get the return fuel in the canister (which I feel is important). I decided to enter from the side and loop the hose. I used a clamp and cut the end off the old regular (mocked up here)

Name:	IMG_20131123_115428.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	2330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131123_115614.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	2329

The (almost) final product

Name:	IMG_20131123_121611.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	2331

Welcome, you should now teach Chris (blue SRT-4) how to fix his car and make it go fast lol.

Senior Member test

I don't need to be taught anything. I was the one who figured out wat was wrong with it. I just can't be bothered to fix it because I don't care for the car. Post more pics!

2004 SRT-4

That's an interesting build you have going on! It's nice to see more people posting up their builds. Is there a reason why most owners put those massive intercoolers on SRT-4's or just because racecar? Also, is that submersible fuel hose that you're using?
    Last edited by Nabs; 11-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Pretty sure that's the stock intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    By this point, the car didn't have much in the way mods. I had a tuner, a wideband, and an oversized intercooler. I suppose the ACT clutch counts too.

From FC3S' thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    Without the stock crash bar (after market one should be purchased if you plan to DD with that intercooler) they're fragile.
    Quote Originally Posted by spin-z View Post
    i love how everyone upgraded the intercooler to that massive mother fucker lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by FC3S View Post
    Ya lol. Easily 4x the size of the stock one haha
    I highly doubt Dodge would produce a car with such a massive intercooler and without a crash bar to make 230bhp stock. The factory intercooler never went above the centre of the grill

Name:	DSC00259.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	2335

Sorry for the thread jack
    Last edited by Nabs; 11-25-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Senior Member test

Both our cars have upgraded intercoolers. Pretty sure the stock one you can't get much power out of it

Way to go above and beyond to prove you are right lol.

The only srt 4's I've ever seen have that huge intercooler , hence why I thought they were the stock one.

ya... I guess I went a little overboard on that one...

I drove one with a stock inter cooler once. In 2004.

I mean my intercooler is half that size and good to 550hp, yours must be hella thin.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

I'm going to say about 4 inches, but it's definitely overkill. If anything it's costing me power.

I guess it's a common upgrade because it's cheap, not really necessary on the stock turbo. The kids buy them and want to do SOMETHING with their allowance...

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast