Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Winter Diesel Fuel: Places to Avoid. / How to start a gelled up TDI

Winter Diesel Fuel: Places to Avoid. / How to start a gelled up TDI

So it's that time of year. I know there are practically zero Diesels vehicles on here, but I'm just going to spread the word, incase you know someone with a diesel and they aren't as picky as they should be about fuel.

Places to Avoid for Winter Diesel Fuelups:

Macs on Hodder Ave.
    Canadian Tire on Fort William Road.
    CanOP on Oliver
    Husky near Central

Both of those places caused gelled up fuel in two TDIs I know about. Macs left my friend stranded on the way into Thunder Bay from Armstrong on Monday night. The fuel is so bad that even after a half a tank of fresh Super Store fuel and some Diesel 911 and Conditioner that it left him stranded a second time today.
    Canadian Tire fuel left Charlies car stuck a few blocks from my house last year in -30 weather. I hadn't even put conditioner in my Super Store fuel at that point.
    My brother said both CanOP and Husky filled up his water separator.

Andrew's Recommended Places for Winter Diesel
    Super Store. Add a bit of Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement for added peace of mind.

Oh noes, my friend's diesel is gelled! What do I do?
    My understanding that this is significantly less likely when the car is fitted with a in-tank lift pump. All Pre03 TDIs don't have any sort of lift pump. I don't know which, if any, Cummins lack a lift pump.

I will get photos later, or even a video if I come across another gelled up TDI, but this is how I get a VE TDI running.

First aquire Diesel Purge from Napa and Diesel 911 from Canadian Tire or anywhere else that sells it.

Second disable any electric fuel pumps. Remove both fuel lines going to the injection pump

They are the ones that are on the right of this photo.

Three, shove the bootle of Diesel Purge where that photo tells you and place the fuel lines into the Diesel Purge.

Four, while having another car boosting the dead TDI, crank that bitch over. If it starts after a few cranks, let it run on the diesel purge for a bit.

Five. If it didn't start, remove engine cover and crack the nuts on each injector.

Six, turn over until fuel is coming out. It will dribble out a first, you want it to make small puddles.

Seven, tighten cylinders 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 injector nuts and turn over again until it sounds like it might start. It won't.

Eight, tighten remaining injectors nuts and turn over until the car starts. It will likely stall a few times.

Nine, run engine for a few minutes off of the diesel purge until the bottle feels slightly warm. It should be able to idle off of the bottle for about a hour.

Ten, drain some of the fuel from the fuel filter, replace with the remaining Diesel Purge, or Power Service Diesel 911.

Eleven, fill up tank at Super Store.
    Last edited by dorkage; 12-06-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added more places to avoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Re: Winter Diesel Fuel: Places to Avoid. / How to start a gelled up TDI

But but the Canadian tire money. ...

Charlie used that excuse. Told him I wouldn't help next time the fuel gelled up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Dat superbuck doe
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Superstore doesn't take Amex.

So need a place with good diesel and takes Amex. Don't care about the other "bonus" as I just lose them anyways.

Well if the fuel gells up let me know where you got it so we can add it to the list. Same for good diesel.

For sure. No problems so far. I did dump a lot of conditioner in though. I also had diesel purge in the last tank. Only complaint is they are really expensive, which phased me after I filled up. Oh well. I'll figure it out in a month.

all you have to do is google dodge lift pump and theres a million problems and a million easy ways to fix it. so we don't even need to open that can of worms lol.

I have no issues at all with fuels, I buy it where its cheap or convenient. I run a bit of kleenflo anti gel in the coldest months to help cold starts and that's it. Never had my fuel gel, even in -40 out west.

I've seen a few gel up here. I don't know if the lift pump actually helps, but that's what I have heard on TDI. But I can't see how since it just cycles fuel through the injection pump, not in the injector lines where it seems to actually gel and cause the no run conditions.

I used to run crappy tire diesel in my mkII golf all the time...always dumped some fuel conditioner in it that I got from the company I worked for driving big trucks...never ever had a problem.....well until I blew up all my glow plugs lol. Ever seen a vw starter glow cherry red? I have and that bitch still started for another 50000 k!

Quote Originally Posted by vwjeph View Post
    I used to run crappy tire diesel in my mkII golf all the time...always dumped some fuel conditioner in it that I got from the company I worked for driving big trucks...never ever had a problem.....well until I blew up all my glow plugs lol. Ever seen a vw starter glow cherry red? I have and that bitch still started for another 50000 k!
    elaborate. Like glow plug tips exploded and your engine lasted another 50,000km?

No cherried up the starter and the starter never failed. Obviously I changed out the glow plugs