Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glowshift gauges - Who's got em

Glowshift gauges - Who's got em

If this is in the wrong spot, i'm sorry.

But is anybody running glowshift gauges at all in their cars?
    I've been looking at there stuff for a little while sure, and not sure if i should pull the trigger and buy the gauges I want. The problem is, their really damn cheap, and with low prices, the product usually turns out to be complete junk. what I wanna know, is if anybody here has been using them for a long period of time, if they've held up, work good and arn't just a waste of money. I'm trying to buy stuff on a solid tight budget, and don't wanna shell out hundreds of dollars on gauges that are junk, or high end top of the line stuff. I just want to keep an eye on some engine parameters.

any reviews welcome. thanks
    Last edited by MarcGSR; 03-23-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: moved from General to Electrical - Security - I.C.E.

Re: Glowshift gauges - Who's got em

I think as far as cheap gauges go , autometer are about as cheap as I'd go. Good quality and a good name for the price.

yeah i'm kinda on the fence about it. to just get some cheap shit, and roll with it, and save my $ for my next build, or buy some 1/2 decent stuff, that i can probbally sell, and make a bit of money back out of em.

If I'm not mistaken, spin-z's first set of gauges were Glowshift.

Or get nice gauges and when you go on to your next build just keep the nice gauges.

vdo makes some affordable gauges that aren't shit. They make OEM gauges for numerous applications...

yea I've used them. depends on what you get. honestly ive had no problems with their manual boost gauges. I have a pyrometer on my truck and it works pretty well. its started going wonky lately (it twitches once in a while) but still reads alright. stay away from anything with an electronic sending unit. those are most definitely crap lol. but really they aren't bad for starters.

The mechanical ones in theory should be fine... voltage, boost ect. If you are looking at AFR and Pyro I wouldn't bother buying cheap, seems like something you would most definitely have to buy twice.

I just ordered a new autometer boost and volt gauge 2 days ago... about $70 each on ebay. Nice knowing I should never have to replace them or worry about failure.

Buy nice ones and transfer them to your next project?
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Ive never had any issues with the electronic autometer gauges. I bought oil pressure and water temp for my yota, the ended up in the delsol then in James's big truck lol. I say spend the money cause that's vital info they're sending you

the frozen north
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy_Des View Post
    yea I've used them. depends on what you get. honestly ive had no problems with their manual boost gauges. I have a pyrometer on my truck and it works pretty well. its started going wonky lately (it twitches once in a while) but still reads alright. stay away from anything with an electronic sending unit. those are most definitely crap lol. but really they aren't bad for starters.
    most of the gauges i wanted to buy from Glowshift are electronic gauges.

If i end up saving and spending money on a bunch of good gauges to use again. I've been considering buying all AEM gauges. Cause I have a UEGO on its way from them.

yea don't bother if you want the electronic gauges lol. I tried their fuel pressure gauge just for shits and the sending unit lasted a month.

You'll be fine if you stick with AEM

*just to add to that, check out Isspro as well. their gauges are very popular in diesel circles and are priced very well*
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 12-29-2013 at 03:55 PM.

IMO gauges are not something you want to cheap out on. Just what you need is a gauge reading wrong and you screw your car up over a few hundred bucks. I put an AEM wide band in and a defi boost gauge in and they have done me well so far.

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    2000 Toyota Tacoma

if your vehicle isnt ACTUALLY modded then all gauges are a complete waste of money. but i had glow shift gauges a LLLOOONNGGG time ago and they worked good. as long as you get the mechanical ones. i cant comment on the electrical ones. if your buying cheap gauges get mechanical, if you want electronic spend the money. there is nothing at all wrong with mechanical gauges they are just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by spin-z View Post
    if your vehicle isnt ACTUALLY modded then all gauges are a complete waste of money. .
    It will be modded, just getting the bits and pieces together. Figured gauges would be a nice thing to have once the mods are all installed. most important gauges i DO need, is an AFR, and an Aeroforce. Makes the guy whole will be tuning my car, live that much easier. Already got the AFR, just waiting to find a used Aeroforce come up for sale on another forum site.

I just figured with Glowshift gauges being real cheap, i'd pick em all up, and be good to go, but i think i'll invest my money further in AEM, and buy all Digital from them. (thats where my AFR is from)

I have a set of the electrical ones in my car right now. I don't expect the readings to be deadly accurate however if it shows me that the temperature is too hot, the oil pressure is too low and the voltage is 12V instead of 14V than I'm ok with it and they do just that. I have actually compared the temp on the gauge to the temp on my laptop reading from the factory sensors and its dead on. I had an alternator belt shred and hit the oil pressure sending unit and broke the tangs off the wires. A new sending unit replacement was 12 dollars shipped. If you want some cheap gauges they work. My only complaint is I have the tinted ones...they aren't tinted enough but than you can't see them in the day time. It's really irritating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast