Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: H22A4 swap maybe.

Re: H22A4 swap maybe.

ok well according to the book ive been reading, right here in my hands. HPBOOKS honda acura performance."the h22a is 175 pounds heavier than a stock D series drivetrain and 85 pounds heavier than a B16A drivetrain." So if i am mistaken on that, i guess the book is wrong as well , i wasnt guessing. I dont believe I am ignoring anything? I am taking what info is put on here into consideration. Didnt know I had to just say YES i will do as you say? and I did say this would be a slow expensive process, I mentioned the cost of things to put out some feelers to see if anyone agrees or knows of some deals are to be found.

Senior Member test

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...train_weights/

Looks inline what this magazine found.

Tylor put a H22 in his old civic, maybe send him a PM.
    http://tbmotoring.com/members/122-tylor
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Thanks man, nice to have some help instead of being judged.

Quote Originally Posted by Antrmo View Post
    Lots of options for B yes, readily available? not so much.Nope not interested in mustangs, nice cars for sure ,but not my bag.I dont believe looking for info online, checking forums, and asking opinions is considered "talking myself out of it". knowledge is power, and pretty sure patience and research is smarter that just following the crowd. But thx for the insight?
    I'm honestly trying to be helpful dude. I'm sorry it isn't coming across that way. I'll try again, because I was literally exactly where you are at one point.

I bought a B17 equipped integra GSR for $300. Awesome condition trans, motor, everything I needed to swap a vtec B series with a short ratio trans into my Integra. I wanted more, however - so I bought a B20Z out of a CRV for $900 with 64,000 km on it.. After a few odds and ends that would have cost me a grand tops (exhaust, clutch, lsvtec swap parts etc) I would have had H22 performance for 1/2 the cost.

Do the B. There are a few sub 12 sec cars on here that are running B's.. Good motors and easy to find.

Senior Member test

Sorry I don't mean to judge but I think those numbers are a bit phony, to say a h22 weighs about 400 pounds is laughable in my opinion (assuming the trans is around 90)..I'm willing to bet an iron block lsx motor would weigh in around the same..sorry guys just not seeing it. 200 lbs difference...the weight of a human being. C'mon guys. Yes a little more weight due to dohc and balance shafts..but 200lbs?...

Anyhow. Depends on what u want to spend. You can pretty much take what you'll expect to spend and double it. Lots of cost that will come from timing belt and water pump, tune up..plugs, fuel filter yadda yadda.. You'll run into a lot of unforeseen costs for sure.. If it were me I would probably do a 96 spec itr or gsr. Both can be had around 3 grand or a little less.
    And they'll weigh 100lbs less than an h22. Hahh.
    ---
    2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 PSD, 315 75 duratracs, Muffler delete, 6637 intake, bilstein 5100s, f-350 x codes front, homemade lift shackles, 4in block rear

ok exist , sorry I may have taken it the wrong way. the B20 sounds pretty cool.I guess i was thinking if i had the whole car,(which ever way I go) it would make the swap easier and more affordable. so you like the B20z block with the ls head for vtec? and run a ecu and trans from same year as head?. do you mean if you went with a H22 it would have cost alot less?

well im only writting what im reading peps, according to the link, and this book Im reading, it is what it is. I guess I am just feeling out everyones opinions and looking to see what full vehicles are out there and or parts available, believe me I am not rushing into this and I know it wont be cheap. Its ok i have a job.lol. I can save. i dont care if it takes me untill next spring or summer, I just want to do it right. Hell if someone buys my car I may just wait and save untill I find the 1 I want. LOL.

Senior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by peps View Post
    Sorry I don't mean to judge but I think those numbers are a bit phony, to say a h22 weighs about 400 pounds is laughable in my opinion (assuming the trans is around 90)..I'm willing to bet an iron block lsx motor would weigh in around the same..sorry guys just not seeing it. 200 lbs difference...the weight of a human being. C'mon guys. Yes a little more weight due to dohc and balance shafts..but 200lbs?...
    Did you not see the link I posted where they weighed each complete drivetrain?
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

I never finished my intended build, I bought a Toyota to 4x4 with instead. The B20Z I chose because it's designed to rev a little higher, has higher compression, and has more hp/tq. Throwing an LS head on it makes no sense as the B18B head is, as far as I can recall, identical - only the intake and exhaust manifolds are different from the B18B..

Throwing a vtec head and the typical bolt ons (i/h/e) and getting it tuned (again, from what I recall) is in the 200hp/160tq range whereas a stock H22 is in the realistically 170/140 area? Either motor will feel a lot quicker than the D series but I still say you boost the D and do a manual swap - with a turbo D series you'll be in the same power range as either H or B20Vtec but have ridiculous amounts of D series motors for dirt cheap everywhere.. And you get a cool psssstttt sound... Especially considering you just rebuilt that motor if I read one of your previous posts right.

if you want a donor car ill sell you my complete 98 integra for $600 with a spare ecu aswell (one for manual trans) the car is automatic but has everything other than the standard swap stuff you would need. i will only be driving the car for about another month tops.
    i just need it to drive untill i finish saftying my new vehicle.

the car runs great and just passed a safety less than 6 months ago so im sure there are tons of other parts you could sell to recoupe the cost of buying the whole car.

if your not into the b-series at all, id say just go with the h22a there fun to drive with all the tourque but definatly costly for cv axles etc.
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

There was a B18 sitting for sale on this site for $100 for months... it ended up going to scrap. After that engine you would have needed a trans, axles, and some mounts?

There are many reasons people do B series builds over any other engine, and 100% it will be the cheapest and potential for most growth.

Scrap that prelude or part it out if its a parts car.

This is the 3rd or 4th thread where experienced Honda guys have told you to either enjoy what you have, or do a B swap.

Sit on what you have have for a while and keep an eye out. I bought a running 98 manual integra for $200 last year, and a blown timing belt 99 auto for $150.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=684550

H = 123lb short block
    B = 104lb short block
    D = 100lb short block + oil pan

So with totaly fair comparisons... the H is 19lb heavier in the short block.

H trans = 96lb
    B trans = 90lb

thats 6 lb... so we have a 25lb weight increase so far with the H22.
    According to buddy on h-tech, h22 is approx 35 pounds heavier then a b-series.. 200 pounds seems a tad off in comparison.

http://www.yonaka.com/H22_Custom_Swa..._p/ymax006.htm

129.99$ (pair axels for h22 for civic, de sol etc..)

http://www.innovativemounts.com/Prod...ductCode=20050

Again $300 for mounts h22 into EK civic chassis.

Like everyones saying b-series is the way to go, simple , parts are "cheaper" than h22 it seems and much more available. Ls/vtec or b20 vtec it up, blocks are everywhere, find a gsr head online for 800$ built. and bseries tranny 6-800$ for stock. Theres one floating on kijiji tbay atm. I came across my motor in a gsr car at the scrappers for 2600$ took parts sold them, had my motor and had fun. Always keep a look out never know.
    Last edited by Bocherks1; 08-05-2014 at 12:23 AM.
    Go fuck yourself San Diego

Senior Member test

Why the hell would you go h series? B if u want it cheap and k if you wanna spend a bit. No h

yes dorkage I saw the link, did you see the other 1 posted?..so who knows both seem reputable, exist, i guess thats why I said ls head, meaning making the B20 a vtec. bc I dont think they are vtecs in the crv. and yes just rebuilt about 4 years ago, and only drive in the summer. I guess the concern for turbo is I have no where close to tune a aftermarket ECU. RAGE , There is a integra here for sale aswell but auto, If I go that way maybe i could buy the ecu for the manual set up? whats the km,s on the car? Tremblay, i know about that motor I missed him by 1 day. Am always keeping a eye out on the sale sites, thx. hopefully find and decide soon, but again I am enjoying my car untill. Bocherks wow better deals than what i have found thx.

Look around the states - you're right near International Falls no? Surely you can find something across the border as well. Consider making friends with someone who can haul a car for you and broaden your search area.

Lots of guys shipped blocks, heads, transmissions etc. in - they weren't found in a scrap yard. It sucks to have to leave town to find stuff or tune your car but after all is said and done investing in a day long drive to get your car tuned after you finish boosting it is worth it in the long run if you can get it set up reliably.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast