Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Problems with Mazda speed3

Clutch Problems with Mazda speed3

So my buddy bought a 2011 Speed3 a few weeks ago in TO. He was on his way home and the clutch died on him in Blind River on the flats with cruise control on. After a day or so in the Soo he's back in town. Not 2 days later clutch dies on him again in the middle of an intersection. He gets it towed to Mazda they check it out and the clutch material ripped itself off the disc. Mazda says it's not their fault it's his fault. Now he's not the greatest at driving stick but I'm pretty sure a clutch shouldn't disintegrate in less than 2 days of driving, and if it does it is more than likely a defective clutch no? Anyone ever heard of a clutch ripping itself apart in 2 days?

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    2000 Toyota Tacoma

Re: Clutch Problems with Mazda speed3

Good chance it was on its last legs to begin with from someone else being a terrible standard driver and your buddy roasting the clutch finished it off. Clutches are never covered under warranty from what I've always thought...

Definitely not. User error is usually what they'll use as an excuse. Besides, upgrade clutch with upgraded flywheel, can't go wrong with that. Mind you, I'm not sure if the Mazdaspeed clutch is technically stage 1?

Is the material worn off the pressure plate side or the engine side?
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

It was engine side I believe

2000 Toyota Tacoma

Call another dealership in Toronto or Ottawa, ask them if they have ever received similar defects or complainants. They'll be honest with you since it's not going to effect them. I've done it with Mitsubishi when the dealership here tried to tell me that I "bent my axle" from a pothole and bla bla bla. They told me that it's pretty much impossible to not break any other parts before it got to the axle and then I called Mitsu HQ and made a complaint and got everything fixed for free under warranty. Basically, if there's at least one other record of similar defects, it has to be replaced. Unfortunately, you'll have to go in kicking and screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    Good chance it was on its last legs to begin with from someone else being a terrible standard driver and your buddy roasting the clutch finished it off. Clutches are never covered under warranty from what I've always thought...
    The first one yes. The second with less than 20 km on it.... The first one they covered. 2nd one he had to pay for

2000 Toyota Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU View Post
    Call another dealership in Toronto or Ottawa, ask them if they have ever received similar defects or complainants. They'll be honest with you since it's not going to effect them. I've done it with Mitsubishi when the dealership here tried to tell me that I "bent my axle" from a pothole and bla bla bla. They told me that it's pretty much impossible to not break any other parts before it got to the axle and then I called Mitsu HQ and made a complaint and got everything fixed for free under warranty. Basically, if there's at least one other record of similar defects, it has to be replaced. Unfortunately, you'll have to go in kicking and screaming.
    ive been perusing the interwebs like i usually do at work when we arent busy. Apparently the clutches in the speed3 have some issues with wearing out prematurely.

2000 Toyota Tacoma

Print those bad boys. Bring it to the dealership. Also, if you can get an email from HQ stating that there are official defects that Mazda has replaced under warranty, you're good to go. They won't be able to prove if it's human error or defective. Also, when they do replace it make sure they give you another warranty covering the clutch because it could happen again. And if they don't seem like they're going to do anything about it, make sure your buddy goes on a busy day with other customers there and make a big stink out of it. Last thing they'll want is customers and possible future Mazda owners seeing and hearing about how bad the customer service is. You'd be surprised how much they'll all of a sudden decide that you're right and they were wrong

yea i would have lost my shit on them if it was me but hes a little more constervative than i am

2000 Toyota Tacoma

Well he'll be looking at at least 500 bucks for just the clutch kit. I'd fight it. I'm a pretty conservative guy too but Stealerships are dicks. Basically, dealing with liars for the most part.

Note sure if this would effect it or not... there are 3 things on Transport Canada for the Speed3...

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...rchResult&pg=0

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

At 2 days old, I'd be livid.

I haven't talked to him in a few days so I'm guessing clutch number 3 is so far so good

2000 Toyota Tacoma

Given that I drove an automatic so I'm not one to talk, but the Mazda speed clutches are really aggressive and there's a break in period, like less then 3000rpm or something for 1000km so they can wear in properly, so chances are either the clutch was defective (dropped during shipping or during install and it cracked) or he was flooring it off the line or riding the clutch off the get go with a brand new clutch not allowing it to seat properly, so depending on how it separated, it actually could have been user error. Should have asked for the old clutch, he paid for it, should keep it as a trophy at the least regardless of how it broke.

What color is this car? I've only seen a red one I'm town

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast